+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Prescription drugs for old parents _ pr last year

priya_98

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Hi,
My parents (71 & 61 Years old) recently became pr. I sponsored them and currently live with me in Ontario.

As i understand, my father is auto eligible for senior co_ payment program and his prescripted medication is covered. But my mother's medication is not covered as she is under 65. What are the best options for her? Buy a private insurance plan? Or apply for trillium drug plan as a family? My family (i. E. Husband, kid and myself) have our coverage from employer so we are fine. The question is abouy my mother coverage and options.

Also, does tdp consider as social assistance if applied?

Any pointers will be appreciated

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
My parents (71 & 61 Years old) recently became pr. I sponsored them and currently live with me in Ontario.

As i understand, my father is auto eligible for senior co_ payment program and his prescripted medication is covered. But my mother's medication is not covered as she is under 65. What are the best options for her? Buy a private insurance plan? Or apply for trillium drug plan as a family? My family (i. E. Husband, kid and myself) have our coverage from employer so we are fine. The question is abouy my mother coverage and options.

Also, does tdp consider as social assistance if applied?

Any pointers will be appreciated
Do you spend over 4% of your post tax household income on prescriptions? If so, then the Trillium program probably makes sense.

If not, then have your father use the seniors program and pay for your mother's prescriptions out of pocket. Private insurance most likely isn't worth it and will cost you more than you get back, especially if anything is a pre-existing condition.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I think you need to pay for your mom's prescriptions out of your pocket. A lot fo people that's not covered by eimployer's extended health coverage do that.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Even with trillium you still have a pretty high deductible so unless your mother is on expensive medication you still will likely pay for her prescriptions. Bth 61 and 71 aren't considered old and many are still working. She could also get a job. She may get lucky and get an extended benefit plan or make money towards costs like medication, dental care, vision care, etc. You mention welfare. Are you aware that you will have to pay back the welfare payments if your parents were sponsored by PGP. People need to consider costs before sponsoring their parents. There are many thing not covered by ohip.

Reactions: YVR123