+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnant at the time of first landing

muqum

Oct 8, 2009
Hi.

Please I need help. I am planing to do my first landing in 2010. I just got my visas. I will be 26 weeks pregnant at the time of first landing. I will be going to Toronto(mississauga)with my husband and kids. I have heard that i can not have any more children outside canada before i get my citizenship. My qusetion is

1: If i will deliver 3 months after the araivel in Toronto so will the OHIP will cover my delivery?
2: If OHIP will cover my delivery then how will i claim and how long will it take to get my mony back?
3: If i will deliver before 3 months waiting time then will they cover the baby from day one or else what is the ruling in this regard?
4: How long will it take to get tha passport for my new born?
5: My husband will come back as we dont want to plan to live there unless we find a job there so are there any good nanys available and any idea of what they charge?
6: Can my mom come to visit as I will be alone with my kids and we dont have friends or family in Canada?
7: Will the baby get canadian passport?
8: Any advise on the good hospital clinic or midwife in Mississauga?

Many thaks for halping me out

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can land in Canada and get your PR and then leave again and have the baby back home. As a PR, you can spend 3 out of 5 years outside Canada without losing your status. Your husband could go back to Canada and look for a job and you all come join him later when he finds one. That's one option anyway.

If you want to go to Ontario, you are right, OHIP will cover you after 3 months. Once you are covered, you will not have to put out the money for any bills. If you deliver before the 3 months, you will have a big bill to pay, between 5,000 and 10,000$ I am not sure if the baby is covered right away or if the babies coverage depends on your coverage. Normally it takes only 2 weeks to get a passport in Canada even if you don't put a rush on it but if you need it faster, you can ask for express processing.

I don't know about nannys but you can find nannys and day care I'm sure. If your mom is visa exempt, she can come visit any time. If not, she will have to apply for a visa. There is no guarantee she will get it. She will have to convince the embassy she will leave again.

If the baby is born in Canada, it will get a Canadian passport.

muqum

Oct 8, 2009
Many thanks Leon.

I think after your reply I would try to deliver my baby in Canada as I dont want to take chance of any refusel of new born's visa.

My mother will need visa. Is it not enough proof that she will go back as my father and un married sister are back home.

One more question please.

Do we need to register the new born befor we aply for the passport OR we can aplly for the passport only on behalf of Birth certifecate. As i read on the web that it takes 90 days to Register the baby.

And please if you have any information on the clinics or midwife or hospitals.

Thanks again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The only thing you can't do is to have the baby before you land as a PR without adding it to your file. If you have the baby before you land, you MUST add it to your file and then it will go and land with the rest of you.

If you land in Canada, go back and have the baby then, you would need to sponsor it for PR. As a PR, you can only sponsor from inside Canada so it's possible that you would have problems getting a visa for the baby to come with you. Possible that you might have to send your husband to Canada ahead of time to sponsor the baby while you wait.

If you have the baby in Canada, it will get Canadian citizenship right away. I don't know about any process of registration for newborns. I assume you can only get a passport once you have a birth certificate but I really don't know about this process. I know nothing of midwifes and hospitals but since people have babies in Canada all the time, I am sure you will find one.

Your mother getting a visa or not will depend on the embassy. Some embassies seem to think that everybody is planning on overstaying whether they are leaving spouses and young children behind and other embassies are a bit better. All you can do is try.

muqum

Oct 8, 2009
Thanks.

I hope when we move in Canada our children and we will find lots of good people around us.

Thanks again.

harry807

Jun 3, 2009
Hey Leon,

i have just question out of curiosity.

If the child is born in US after landing and receiving PR card. Does child need sponsorship or visa. Can't he go there with US Passport.

For how long Child with US Passport can stay in canada with parents, does it affect in any benefits/health/schooling

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harry807 said:
Hey Leon,

i have just question out of curiosity.

If the child is born in US after landing and receiving PR card. Does child need sponsorship or visa. Can't he go there with US Passport.

For how long Child with US Passport can stay in canada with parents, does it affect in any benefits/health/schooling
The child does not need a visa to go to Canada for a visit because he is a US citizen but if you want to live in Canada, you must sponsor him for PR. You can bring him with you on visit status and start sponsorship once you get to Canada. I don't know about benefits but as a visitor in Canada, he would not qualify for health care but it would probably not be a problem enrolling him in school. He would be able to stay in Canada as a visitor for up to six months. In case the sponsorship takes longer, you can send an application to extend his visit status.

harry807

Jun 3, 2009
Thanks Leon,

And one more thing, can child stay on just PR keeping US citizenship and parents apply for Canada citizenship.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
harry807 said:
Thanks Leon,

And one more thing, can child stay on just PR keeping US citizenship and parents apply for Canada citizenship.
The child can stay as a PR as long as he doesn't leave Canada for more than 3 in every 5 years or if he leaves for longer, it is ok if he is under 22 and accompanying a Canadian citizen parent. However, there is no reason why the parents should not apply for his Canadian citizenship as well when they apply for their own. He can be a dual US and Canadian.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada allows other citizenships, doesn't matter how many. The US doesn't encourage them but doesn't forbid them either. The US requires US citizens to file taxes in the US, even if they don't live there. They also require US citizens to always use a US passport to enter or leave the US.

samdxb

Star Member
Jun 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
1 june letter dated 25 may
VISA ISSUED...
sent on 8 june, stamped 17 june, recieved 28 june
LANDED..........
26 july Inshallah
hey muqum,,,,im in the same boat...when r u due...mine is nov...where do u live?