+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy & Giving birth - Spouse declared non-resident

roamory

Jun 29, 2011
I was wondering if I could get some input on my family's situation in this forum.

My husband and I are both Canadian (him born Canadian, me naturalized when my family immigrated 10 years ago.) My husband decided to apply overseas for an airline job and we have been living in Asia for the past two years.
However, we have just learned that I am pregnant with our second child and have been toying with the idea of giving birth back in Calgary, mainly for the support network we have (all my family and his family etc.) Our son and myself have been traveling back and forth between Asia and Calgary, so we're in Calgary about half the year with my family. My husband declared non-residency when we left, but I have not officially done so, only stopping our son's Child Tax benefits to avoid confusion. I didn't see the need because I am unemployed and I go back with our son so often anyway.

We called Revenue Canada a couple months ago, and the lady on the phone pretty much told me that as long as Alberta health still deems me as a resident(they do), there should be no problems. She also told me I didn't need to relinquish our DS Child Tax, and to just put my last date of return on my income tax and that's it, and I can claim the Child Tax on the second child as well.. She also said that because my husband declared non-residency, his salary is non-taxable in Canada.

Is that possible though? Can one spouse declare non-residency and the other not relinquish it?
I don't want to go back and suddenly they have a reason to tax us another 40% on top of what we are already taxed on his salary by the government here. We may be able to live with one salary, but that's because putting our son in daycare will only cost us more money than I can make, so any extra costs will definitely put a pinch on our already tight budget.
I'm not so worried about the Alberta Health part because they told me that since I am in Calgary half the year anyway, I'm still a resident. It's the taxes and the federal government part that I feel nervous about. If more than likely, we'll get dinged by Revenue Canada, I'll just stick with the health care here. It's free and the same standard as the one back home anyway. Just would have been nice to have family help instead of trying to heal with a newborn and a toddler. My husband's schedule is sporadic and most of the time, we're home alone anyway, which is why I go back so often.

Any input would be much appreciated.

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, it is possible that one spouse can be non-resident and another one can be resident.
To be 100% sure you have to send email to CRA and you can receive the answer in writing.
Good luck.