+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR WIFE LIVING WITH CANADIAN HUSBAND OUTSIDE CANADA

shahmad

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
Hi,

I am a Canadian Citizen and my daughter is also a Canadian citizen. My wife is a permanent resident and she has completed 2 years and still 2 more years to go before she can apply for citizenship. Things were going as planned and we bought a house too and started to plan our lives here in Canada as we love this country so much. Suddenly I got laid off and things started to get worse and there were some family problems too back in my former country so we decided to move back for few years till things get settled down. I am concerned about my wife’s status because she is still a permanent resident and I know that if she is living with me then she will remain a permanent resident but there is a lot of confusion and I have following questions…

1) I want to keep paying income tax on my world income and don’t want to surrender my and my family’s health card and other benefits. Can I do it in the first place? please suggest any good accountant or lawyer as well who can handle such cases.

2) If my wife is living with me outside Canada then will she always be a permanent resident of Canada or is there a time limit for that too?

3) My wife’s PR Card will expire in 3 years after that does she have to apply PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document) every time she comes to Canada? PRTD is valid for how many years ?? or is it good for one time entry only?

4) What kind of documents should we keep record of to prove that my wife is living with me (Canadian Citizen) throughout our time outside Canada?

5) Has anyone of you gone through such situation … what was your experience??

Please share any valuable information you have regarding this if I missed something.

Thanks for your help everyone!!

ar_fabrics

Jun 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Ahmad
1- you will not eligible for health coverage & other benefits even you pay income tax on your world income.For health card you have to remain at least 153 days in a year in Ontario . ( Other provinces may be different rule)
2-According to Law the period your wife living with you will count always in residencey when applied renewal of PR card.
3-Prtd is one time entry usually valid for 6 month,
4-first of all passports with entery stamps then you can open joint Account, income tax returns & some type of joint utility bills.
5- My close friend is in same boat for last 15 years but he always renew his wife PR card after came to Canada before expiry date. Regards

shahmad

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
ar_fabrics said:
Hi Ahmad
1- you will not eligible for health coverage & other benefits even you pay income tax on your world income.For health card you have to remain at least 153 days in a year in Ontario . ( Other provinces may be different rule)
2-According to Law the period your wife living with you will count always in residencey when applied renewal of PR card.
3-Prtd is one time entry usually valid for 6 month,
4-first of all passports with entery stamps then you can open joint Account, income tax returns & some type of joint utility bills.
5- My close friend is in same boat for last 15 years but he always renew his wife PR card after came to Canada before expiry date. Regards
Hi ar_fabrics ... good to see you ... i still remember we went through the whole citizenship process together with many others on this forum .... everyday checking this forum 100 times lollzzz.
Thank you for the information ..... one thing is clear now that i have to surrender my health card and even if i continue paying taxes that will not solve the problem .. hmmmmm got it.

Can you please ask you friend that how much time does it take for the renewal of PR card if my wife comes here before the expiration of PR card ?? Renew the card and come back ... what is the time line ?? I heard it takes close to 6 months which is crazy but maybe its just a rumour.

Second question is...if she doesnot come here before the expiration .... Is it a bigger risk? or she can easily apply for PRTD and can come anytime and there wont be any hassle at all because she is living with a canadian spouse ofcourse.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
shahmad said:
Hi,

I am a Canadian Citizen and my daughter is also a Canadian citizen. My wife is a permanent resident and she has completed 2 years and still 2 more years to go before she can apply for citizenship. Things were going as planned and we bought a house too and started to plan our lives here in Canada as we love this country so much. Suddenly I got laid off and things started to get worse and there were some family problems too back in my former country so we decided to move back for few years till things get settled down. I am concerned about my wife’s status because she is still a permanent resident and I know that if she is living with me then she will remain a permanent resident but there is a lot of confusion and I have following questions…

1) I want to keep paying income tax on my world income and don’t want to surrender my and my family’s health card and other benefits. Can I do it in the first place? please suggest any good accountant or lawyer as well who can handle such cases.

2) If my wife is living with me outside Canada then will she always be a permanent resident of Canada or is there a time limit for that too?

3) My wife’s PR Card will expire in 3 years after that does she have to apply PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document) every time she comes to Canada? PRTD is valid for how many years ?? or is it good for one time entry only?

4) What kind of documents should we keep record of to prove that my wife is living with me (Canadian Citizen) throughout our time outside Canada?

5) Has anyone of you gone through such situation ... what was your experience??

Please share any valuable information you have regarding this if I missed something.

Thanks for your help everyone!!

I largely concur in the succinct response by ar_fabrics, with some clarification.

Availability of multiple entry PR TD:

Regarding PR Travel Document, however, IRCC has recently adopted a policy to issue a "long-term multiple entry PR TD" which may be valid for a period of years (I do not know the maximum, but it cannot go beyond the expiration date of passport used at time of obtaining the PR TD). See the very end of the guide for a PR TD application http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529ETOC.asp where it addresses the question: "What if I am living outside Canada on a long-term basis?"

This is fairly new, so there have not been many reports in the forum about this based on personal experience.

The instruction guide specifically refers to PRs who are living abroad with a Canadian citizen spouse as an example of a PR who may be issued a long-term multiple entry PR TD.

PRs abroad should try to stay informed about potential changes:

The change noted above, about multiple entry PR TDs becoming available, is of course favourable for PRs. Policy, practices, rules, regulations, and even the statutory provisions themselves are always subject to change. Some changes could have a big impact on PRs, especially those who are living long-term abroad.

There is no sign, for example, there will be any change regarding credit toward the PR Residency Obligation given to those accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse (and given the recent change in policy to issue such individuals multiple-entry PR TDs, at least while this government is in power that signals the credit is secure). However, be aware that this is something a future government might decide to change.

Particular practices and rules do, however, tend to change fairly often. Especially the application forms and what they require. Best to periodically visit the IRCC web site and stay advised of current requirements.

Record-keeping:

Here too I specifically concur with ar_fabrics, but further note that the guide for the PR TD application (url link above) specifies specific mandatory documents which are to be submitted. These, then, are the minimum records a PR and spouse should maintain. Note, too, that it is always best for a PR to keep his or her own records of all travel dates, a travel log, and not rely on any other source for this information (thus, for example, do not rely on passport stamps for record of travel dates).

The appendix (regarding the PR Residency Obligation) to the instruction guide for a new PR card application similarly lists proof to be submitted if the PR needs credit for time abroad accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse. see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA

The instructions for a PR card application are a little more specific than those for the PR TD.

Again, these are subject to change and these do tend to change periodically, so the PR abroad should periodically check these instructions and be sure to keep sufficient records or documents which will enable the PR to provide proof accordingly.

Currently, in general these are documents which will show:
-- relationship between PR and Canadian citizen (typically marriage certificate)
-- Canadian citizenship of the spouse (Canadian passport should suffice, but for a naturalized citizen document showing date of becoming a citizen needs to be submitted)
-- proof of the Canadian citizen's residential address for the preceding five years

Additionally, the current instructions say to include copies of all passports or other travel documents used during the preceding five years.

While the current instructions do not specifically refer to proof of cohabiting (except to document relationship if common-law), I again concur with ar_fabrics that it would be best to have records indicating cohabiting (joint utility bills probably not necessary, as long as there is some documentation showing the PR living in same household as the Canadian citizen spouse).

Renewing PR card:

There are many, many reports similar to that ar_fabrics offers regarding a close friend, regarding PRs living abroad who have returned to Canada briefly to renew the PR card. While this has been common in the past, there are indications that IRCC's approach is now more thorough and strict, making this option more difficult.

It still should work if the PR actually relocates to Canada to apply for the PR card and remains in Canada pending its processing. But if the PR is not really relocated to reside in Canada, IRCC appears to be making this increasingly difficult . . . it is clear that IRCC prefers that PRs in this situation utilize the PR TD process, and has revised policy to issue multiple entry PR TDs precisely to accommodate this.

The temptation many PRs have is to use the address of a trusted family member or friend, as their "Canadian residential address," and many, many have done this without running into a problem.

And indeed, many who are actually living abroad employ this approach in an effort to maintain eligibility for Canadian benefits, such as health care coverage. Make no mistake, the latter is fraud. As common as it has been for many to get away with this, the government is continually enhancing its investigatory and enforcement methods, interdicting such fraud more often. The consequences when caught render this a foolish gamble.

As for using the address of a trusted family member or friend, as their "Canadian residential address," when applying for a PR card, here too the government tends to be getting better at identifying those doing this, increasing enforcement, and imposing more severe consequences. Declarations to IRCC regarding one's "residential address" are not the same as giving a bank or non-government entity such an address; in transactions with IRCC, the declared residential address should be the place where the individual actually lives. Otherwise it is a misrepresentation, for which the penalties were relatively recently increased (late in the last term of Harper's government) and are quite severe.

Calgaryapp1990

Apr 14, 2016
Dpenabill, thank you for the detailed response. I have a slightly related follow up question. As of now, spouses of Canadian citizens living abroad are guaranteed to have their PR cards renewed provided they are living together.

What happens if the Canadian spouse passes away? Would the non-Canadian spouse be still eligible to have their PR renewed?

dpenabill said:
I largely concur in the succinct response by ar_fabrics, with some clarification.

Availability of multiple entry PR TD:

Regarding PR Travel Document, however, IRCC has recently adopted a policy to issue a "long-term multiple entry PR TD" which may be valid for a period of years (I do not know the maximum, but it cannot go beyond the expiration date of passport used at time of obtaining the PR TD). See the very end of the guide for a PR TD application http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529ETOC.asp where it addresses the question: "What if I am living outside Canada on a long-term basis?"

This is fairly new, so there have not been many reports in the forum about this based on personal experience.

The instruction guide specifically refers to PRs who are living abroad with a Canadian citizen spouse as an example of a PR who may be issued a long-term multiple entry PR TD.

PRs abroad should try to stay informed about potential changes:

The change noted above, about multiple entry PR TDs becoming available, is of course favourable for PRs. Policy, practices, rules, regulations, and even the statutory provisions themselves are always subject to change. Some changes could have a big impact on PRs, especially those who are living long-term abroad.

There is no sign, for example, there will be any change regarding credit toward the PR Residency Obligation given to those accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse (and given the recent change in policy to issue such individuals multiple-entry PR TDs, at least while this government is in power that signals the credit is secure). However, be aware that this is something a future government might decide to change.

Particular practices and rules do, however, tend to change fairly often. Especially the application forms and what they require. Best to periodically visit the IRCC web site and stay advised of current requirements.

Record-keeping:

Here too I specifically concur with ar_fabrics, but further note that the guide for the PR TD application (url link above) specifies specific mandatory documents which are to be submitted. These, then, are the minimum records a PR and spouse should maintain. Note, too, that it is always best for a PR to keep his or her own records of all travel dates, a travel log, and not rely on any other source for this information (thus, for example, do not rely on passport stamps for record of travel dates).

The appendix (regarding the PR Residency Obligation) to the instruction guide for a new PR card application similarly lists proof to be submitted if the PR needs credit for time abroad accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse. see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA

The instructions for a PR card application are a little more specific than those for the PR TD.

Again, these are subject to change and these do tend to change periodically, so the PR abroad should periodically check these instructions and be sure to keep sufficient records or documents which will enable the PR to provide proof accordingly.

Currently, in general these are documents which will show:
-- relationship between PR and Canadian citizen (typically marriage certificate)
-- Canadian citizenship of the spouse (Canadian passport should suffice, but for a naturalized citizen document showing date of becoming a citizen needs to be submitted)
-- proof of the Canadian citizen's residential address for the preceding five years

Additionally, the current instructions say to include copies of all passports or other travel documents used during the preceding five years.

While the current instructions do not specifically refer to proof of cohabiting (except to document relationship if common-law), I again concur with ar_fabrics that it would be best to have records indicating cohabiting (joint utility bills probably not necessary, as long as there is some documentation showing the PR living in same household as the Canadian citizen spouse).

Renewing PR card:

There are many, many reports similar to that ar_fabrics offers regarding a close friend, regarding PRs living abroad who have returned to Canada briefly to renew the PR card. While this has been common in the past, there are indications that IRCC's approach is now more thorough and strict, making this option more difficult.

It still should work if the PR actually relocates to Canada to apply for the PR card and remains in Canada pending its processing. But if the PR is not really relocated to reside in Canada, IRCC appears to be making this increasingly difficult . . . it is clear that IRCC prefers that PRs in this situation utilize the PR TD process, and has revised policy to issue multiple entry PR TDs precisely to accommodate this.

The temptation many PRs have is to use the address of a trusted family member or friend, as their "Canadian residential address," and many, many have done this without running into a problem.

And indeed, many who are actually living abroad employ this approach in an effort to maintain eligibility for Canadian benefits, such as health care coverage. Make no mistake, the latter is fraud. As common as it has been for many to get away with this, the government is continually enhancing its investigatory and enforcement methods, interdicting such fraud more often. The consequences when caught render this a foolish gamble.

As for using the address of a trusted family member or friend, as their "Canadian residential address," when applying for a PR card, here too the government tends to be getting better at identifying those doing this, increasing enforcement, and imposing more severe consequences. Declarations to IRCC regarding one's "residential address" are not the same as giving a bank or non-government entity such an address; in transactions with IRCC, the declared residential address should be the place where the individual actually lives. Otherwise it is a misrepresentation, for which the penalties were relatively recently increased (late in the last term of Harper's government) and are quite severe.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I entered a reply on the OPs other post but and others will correct me that whilst accompanying a citizen abroad still counts to retain PR it does not count for citizenship which has a physical residency in Canada requirement.

ar_fabrics

Jun 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shahmad said:
Hi ar_fabrics ... good to see you ... i still remember we went through the whole citizenship process together with many others on this forum .... everyday checking this forum 100 times lollzzz.
Thank you for the information ..... one thing is clear now that i have to surrender my health card and even if i continue paying taxes that will not solve the problem .. hmmmmm got it.

Can you please ask you friend that how much time does it take for the renewal of PR card if my wife comes
Good to see you too. I discussed with my friend today. His wife's PR card renewed 2 time . First time she got after 2.5 month & Second time she got after 1 month as his close relative was MP at that time.So MP speed up his case. PR card renewal time changes almost every month varies 45 to 180 days can be seen on website.
Although as per law PRTD should be issue to your wife but you know very well about immigration matters.in my opinion it is better that before expiry date you should come to Canada. For safe side get your wife visit visa of USA so that she can enter by car with expired PR card.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
This will be a long post. Most of what is involved is addressed in my previous post. That acknowledged, however, the queries posed illustrate that how this goes in practice, in the individual case, can be subject to a wide, wide range of variables and contingencies.

Bottom line, time a PR is accompanying that PR's Canadian citizen spouse gets credited toward meeting the PR Residency Obligation. "Accompanying" has been interpreted to mean actually living together.

Nonetheless, what happens in practice can be influenced by many factors, subject to some contingencies (actually being able to prove entitlement to the credit is a key contingency). This warrants further discussion and in-depth elaboration. Hence the long post.

shahmad said:
. . . how much time does it take for the renewal of PR card if my wife comes here before the expiration of PR card ?? Renew the card and come back ... what is the time line ?? I heard it takes close to 6 months which is crazy but maybe its just a rumour.
Overview: All IRCC processing timelines tend to vary, and many (including PR card renewals) tend to vary significantly from time to time. Additionally, like IRCC processing for other types of applications to IRCC, the timeline can vary significantly from one person to another. For routine PR card replacement or renewal, however, there tends to be minimal variation from person to person, but significant variations from time to time. If the application is handled in non-routine processing, then the timeline varies a lot more from person to person.

For current processing timeline information, see IRCC's information linked from the main IRCC web page (link listed under "Most requested").

Main IRCC web page, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

Current application processing time for "renewing or replacing a PR card" is 45 days. (Cannot link directly to this information; follow link from main page or go to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp and select "Permanent Resident Cards" from the drop down box, which expands to include a second drop down box, and in that one select "No (renewing or replacing a PR card)" and then click the link to "Get processing time.")

Again, be aware, however, that the routine processing timeline for PR card renewal varies from time to time, and in the recent past has ranged from 40 days to around 200 days. More common range seems to be around 50 to 80 days.

Also be aware that non-routine processing timelines can be much, much longer, and for some it has approached two years.

The longer periods (120 to 200 days) for routine processing, however, are probably related to unusual circumstances. For example, given the change in citizenship requirements in 2015, those changes had the effect of delaying citizenship eligibility for perhaps as many, or more, than a quarter million PRs, delaying their eligibility from one to two years. There was, thus, a massive surge in PR card renewals. There were concurrently other circumstances stressing the resources of IRCC, also contributing to longer processing times for routine processing.

shahmad said:
Second question is...if she does not come here before the expiration .... Is it a bigger risk? or she can easily apply for PRTD and can come anytime and there wont be any hassle at all because she is living with a canadian spouse ofcourse.
So long as the PR is actually living with the Canadian citizen spouse, and can document all the elements in qualifying for the accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse credit (see details of this in my previous post), under current law there is minimal risk of a problem related to compliance with the PR Residency Obligation.

It should be obvious, however, that those who maintain actual, more or less direct ties to Canada, have a lower risk of problems. Thus, for example, those who at least make a periodic trip to Canada and spend at least some actual time in Canada on occasion, are not likely to attract the more probing scrutiny which may happen to someone who has not been to Canada at all for many years.

Too often the discussion in this forum tends to gloss over how different situations and histories can have a dramatic impact on how things go; cases which are technically the same can involve wildly different scenarios, with dramatically different effect, including as to outcome.

Consider, for example, the query posed by Calgaryapp1990, asking what happens if the Canadian citizen spouse passes away:

Calgaryapp1990 said:
I have a slightly related follow up question. As of now, spouses of Canadian citizens living abroad are guaranteed to have their PR cards renewed provided they are living together.

What happens if the Canadian spouse passes away? Would the non-Canadian spouse be still eligible to have their PR renewed?
Preliminary note: I would NOT say that there is ever any "guarantee" that a PR will have his or her PR card renewed based on meeting the PR Residency Obligation. Burden of proof is always on the PR. There are other requirements to be eligible for a new PR card. Under current law, yes, the PR who is living together with a Canadian citizen spouse meets the PR RO, by virtue of the credit for accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse. But of course to get the credit the PR must prove this, and to obtain a renewed PR card must otherwise meet the other requirements.

Leading to the particular query, as to what happens if the Canadian citizen spouse dies.

Technically, proof of the spouse's Canadian citizenship, the marital relationship, and that the couple lived together for at least two of the preceding five years, will suffice to show the PR meets the PR RO. This should suffice for a PR TD application; a PoE examination upon arrival in Canada; or for an application to renew the PR card.

Potential logistics in providing such proof should not overlooked, particularly given that IRCC considers certain documents to be, in effect, mandatory.

For example, IRCC in effect demands copies of ALL passports and Travel Documents the citizen spouse could have used in the preceding five years. A PR who cannot provide these, for whatever reason including those which might arise due to the citizen spouse's death, should be able to provide alternative proof and offer an effective explanation. But in practice this could be difficult and the scope of skepticism involved may depend on which Visa Office will be processing the PR TD application.

This leads back to the query by shahmad as to the risks involved, and my observation that of course there may be more risks in some circumstances.

Compare, for example, the following scenarios for PRs living abroad with a Canadian citizen spouse:

Scenario I: a PR who has been in Canada within the previous year, and who has a currently valid multiple use PR TD, or at least who had a PR TD relatively recently, and thus for whom there is already a record-trail in IRCC/CBSA files regarding this PR and compliance with the PR RO based accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse abroad.

Scenario II: a PR who has been living abroad for six or ten or more years, who has rarely visited Canada during those years, who has not had a valid PR card or PR TD in years, and whose only significant ties to Canada are having the Canadian citizen spouse and having PR status.

All other things being equal, the PR in Scenario II is more likely to encounter some difficulty when applying for a PR TD, undergoing a RO compliance examination at a PoE, or applying for a new PR card. How much difficulty will be dependent on many factors, with the nature and quality of the PR's proof looming large.

The latter leads to the scenario involving a deceased Citizen spouse, and the prospect that it could be more difficult to gather and submit the proof.

Among other factors which can have an impact on how any evaluation of the PR's status goes, including evaluating compliance with the PR RO, there is the matter of how much time was actually spent living in Canada at any time. Thus, for example, for either PR, one in Scenario I or one in Scenario II, how long the PR lived in Canada before going abroad accompanying the Canadian citizen spouse, could be a big factor.

The latter, how long or how well settled the PR was in Canada before going abroad, is technically NOT an element in assessing the PR's compliance with the PR RO based on credit for accompanying a citizen spouse.

This leads to recognizing the impact of factors which relate to whether the PR deserves-to-retain-PR-status. Technically this is NOT an element. But, along with factors which relate to the PR's credibility, this nonetheless can loom very large, very, very large.

This is true for all PRs applying to IRCC for a PR TD or new PR card. Regardless of how much time the PR has spent in Canada, or can be credited for, within the five years that specifically count in calculating compliance with the PR RO, how well settled in Canada the PR has been, historically, can influence how things go. Whether it appears to be the case, that the PR deserves-to-retain-PR-status, will often influence how strict or skeptical an officer is in conducting an assessment. For obvious reasons.

Thus, for example, a PR who spent relatively limited time in Canada before accompanying a Canadian citizen abroad, and then has lived for 8 or 10 years abroad with minimal travel back to Canada, is more likely to face elevated scrutiny when trying to obtain a PR TD or when returning to Canada.

Thus, for example, a PR who in the past was settled and living in Canada, before moving abroad, and who applies for a PR TD and plans to return to again settle and live in Canada within a few months after the PR's Canadian citizen spouse dies, is less likely to encounter the degree of scrutiny or skepticism such a PR might face if the PR TD application is made two years or so later.

In this regard, it is probably worth noting that the PR accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse is probably more at risk if there is a breakdown in the relationship and the Canadian citizen spouse decides to be uncooperative, such as refusing to provide copies of his or her passport, or proof of his or her Canadian citizenship.

The range of scenarios which can influence how things go is huge, far too many to attempt covering them in much detail. I hope the above helps illuminate the nature of the vagaries and contingencies which can have an impact.

As previously cautioned: in the meantime, any PR abroad should stay informed about IRCC rules regarding maintaining PR status. And, in general, more ties to Canada makes a better impression, and impressions can matter.

BTW, Bs65, it is correct that time accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse only counts toward compliance with the PR RO, and not toward qualifying for citizenship (with some very narrow exceptions).

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jee786 said:
My 2c here,
2. living with Canadian spouse outside Canada does not count residency unless spouse working for Candian forces or consulate or something related. They might renew the card but resideny is different thing.
There a re two different set of rules for PR and citizenship. To keep your PR status you can count days abroad with a Canadian citizen in any case - no restrictions regarding spouse working for Canadian forces or consulate.

For citizenship purpose you would be correct tho.