+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR while on Closed Work Permit

Deija

Mar 11, 2024
I’m in the process of applying for a Closed Work Permit through my employer - I am currently on a PGWP set to expire within a few months. We will be applying for a 2 year permit/extension.

I know a closed work permit essentially limits me to work for said employer only, especially if I have no other status in Canada. However, if I am granted a nomination or ITA and I am successful with receiving Permanent Residency (while on the Closed Work Permit) am I obligated to complete the permit with that employer?
Are there legal implications to not doing so etc ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I’m in the process of applying for a Closed Work Permit through my employer - I am currently on a PGWP set to expire within a few months. We will be applying for a 2 year permit/extension.

I know a closed work permit essentially limits me to work for said employer only, especially if I have no other status in Canada. However, if I am granted a nomination or ITA and I am successful with receiving Permanent Residency (while on the Closed Work Permit) am I obligated to complete the permit with that employer?
Are there legal implications to not doing so etc ?
So you have an approved LMIA with employer (they paid the $1K) and applied for WP. With approved LMIA, are you counting the 50 points for profile? If so, you want to remain with employer until PR.

Deija

Mar 11, 2024
So the question isn’t IF to remain with employer…
I’m simply trying to understand if there are implications or if I am required to stay with that employer AFTER receiving PR.
Through the mobility programme we weren’t required to submit an LMIA with our application.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So the question isn’t IF to remain with employer…
I’m simply trying to understand if there are implications or if I am required to stay with that employer AFTER receiving PR.
Through the mobility programme we weren’t required to submit an LMIA with our application.
If you are not getting points for a job offer/LMIA exemption then no need to stay during processing. Which mobility program because all require a LMIA or LMIA exemption? If LMIA exemption, employer would have been approved for it so you can apply for a closed work permit.

Reactions: Deija

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Once you have PR you are free to work for anyone. Securing PR may take a long time though due to the large volume of people all trying to secure PR so would be prepared to work for your current employer for quite a while.

Reactions: Deija