+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewl conditions and difference in landing canada and expiry of PR Card

Rehan Baig

Jul 18, 2012
Hi

I am worried about my Parents residency status in Canada... They are outside of Canada and they are left 262 days in 730 days to qualify the PR renewel obligation. our PR expiry date is 18 aug 2013,We landed on 27th July 2008 and they went back spending 5 months and then stay 1 more year after this... I want them to come back to canada and do complete their days of obligation. but they cant come before end of the november due to family responsibilities. They will still make 262 days on August 18 2013 which is expiry date of our PR card. I am just confuse with the obligation thing. They will be short with 23 days if we calculate 5 years from 27th july 2008 to 27th july 2013 but if we follow the date of expiry of our PR card the do make exactly 730 days. will you able to assist me if the immigration obligation is that hard that they will refuse renewel of PR by 23 days short. or will they take the PR Expiry date as 5 years period

Thanks a lot for your help in advance

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Immigration is strict on the 730 days because they have to draw the line somewhere. 730 days in 5 years is actually very lenient compared to most countries. In many countries, you lose PR if you leave for as much as 6 months at a time.

Anyway, they will look at the past 5 years from the time your parents apply for the PR card renewal. If they get back into Canada without incident with their still valid cards, they can wait until they have 730 days and then apply to renew, letting their PR cards expire in the meantime.

Keep in mind that because it is only the past 5 years that are looked at, once they have been PR's for more than 5 years, the period they stayed right after landing starts to expire or move outside this 5 year window so you can not count every day they stayed after getting PR, you must only count the days they stayed in the past 5 years.