+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renew & PR Card Validity

RaviSapra

Jan 23, 2023
Hi Seniors,

I am in a big confusion and need some guidance.

I got my PR in Jan 2018, did soft landing of 5 days in Mar 2018 and then went back to my home country. Got PR card with landing date from Mar 2018. After that I didn't come to Canada for almost 3 years and came back in Apr 2021.

My question is - From Mar 2018 to Feb 2023, I would have lived in Canada for 700 days instead of 730 days, required for PR renew.

1. Does it mean I am not eligible for PR renew now?

2. Can I stay in Canada till let's say Apr 2023 and then apply for PR renew? Is it legal to do so or will CIC reject my PR renew saying that I don't qualify for it?

3. If 2. is legal then Do I need to renew my PR card after it's expiration? I mean, can I stay in Canada for another year and then directly apply for citizenship after Apr 2024? Do I need to have valid PR card to apply for citizenship?

Looking forward to hear from all forum members.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anyone pls..?
1) Yes, you are not eligible to renew PR card
2) Yes, you can stay (live) in Canada until your meet your residency obligation to be eligible to renew the card.
3) It's legal to let the card expire. You can live in Canada as long as you want.

TalhaS

Nov 24, 2019
1) Yes, you are not eligible to renew PR card
2) Yes, you can stay (live) in Canada until your meet your residency obligation to be eligible to renew the card.
3) It's legal to let the card expire. You can live in Canada as long as you want.
I agree with these answers. As a principle, PR Card ≠ PR Status. The card is used to enter Canada, so after your card's expiry, you will need to make alternate arrangements (Google "Enter Canada with an expired PR card") but remaining in Canada after PR card expiry is fine.

bossofbees

Star Member
Jan 10, 2017
NOC Code......
You need a valid PR card to travel in and out of Canada.
you dont need a valid pr card to live in canada.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not exactly.

It is never needed to travel out of Canada.

A valid PR Card is needed for returning to Canada via a commercial carrier. It is not needed to return to Canada at a land PoE in a private vehicle or on foot.

Reactions: scylla

odonacer

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
Hello
But what about work in Canada with expired PR card?
I have same situation and I don't know what to do in this case in terms of employment? Assume my PR status is Ok, but the PR card is expired - how can I for example work in this case?
Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello
But what about work in Canada with expired PR card?
I have same situation and I don't know what to do in this case in terms of employment? Assume my PR status is Ok, but the PR card is expired - how can I for example work in this case?
Thanks
You rarely if ever need to show PR card to work in Canada. You provide the employer with the SIN.