+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renew obligations

rajivsharma2004

Sep 25, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have spent 2.5 years in Canada on PR status. Now we have to move back to our home country for unknown time. My question is that am I eligible for PR card renew and can I do it online from outside Canada. Also after renewing my PR card do I have to stay another 2 years out of 5 years in the second term If I don't apply for citizenship? And Do I need to give any address to receive it or they can ship it internationally? Also, can I apply for citizenship from outside Canada as I have spent 1095 days in Canada.
What other obligations I should handle, appreciate your advise on the same.

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

I have spent 2.5 years in Canada on PR status. Now we have to move back to our home country for unknown time. My question is that am I eligible for PR card renew and can I do it online from outside Canada. Also after renewing my PR card do I have to stay another 2 years out of 5 years in the second term If I don't apply for citizenship? And Do I need to give any address to receive it or they can ship it internationally? Also, can I apply for citizenship from outside Canada as I have spent 1095 days in Canada.

Thanks in advance.
When does your PR card expire? You can apply to renew your PR card up to 9 months before your current PR card expires.

Yes, you can apply for citizenship from outside of Canada if you meet the 1095 day residency requirement.

If you do not become a citizen then you must continue to live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years to maintain your PR residency requirement. This is a rolling requirement and not tied to the validity of your PR card.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance.
"My question is that am I eligible for PR card renew and can I do it online from outside Canada."

No. A PR must affirmatively declare that they are IN Canada at the time they make an application to renew their PR card.

"Also after renewing my PR card do I have to stay another 2 years out of 5 years in the second term If I don't apply for citizenship?"​

As @scylla commented, the PR Residency Obligation is not tied to the dates the PR card is valid.

If you have been physically present in Canada for more than 730 days since the date you landed and became a PR, you are in compliance with the RO until, at the least, the fifth year anniversary of the date you landed. As of that date, and thereafter, to comply with the RO you need to be IN Canada at least 730 days within the preceding five years of any day that your RO is being examined. Example: a PR arriving at a Port-of-Entry into Canada is subject to questions about RO compliance, which will be determined based on calculating the number of days IN Canada during the five years prior to that specific day. (Note, even if the PR has a brand new PR card, one valid for more than another four years, they can be questioned about RO compliance and again that will be determined based on number of days in Canada in the five years prior to that day the questions are asked.)

"And Do I need to give any address to receive it or they can ship it internationally?"​

IRCC will NOT ship PR cards internationally. Nor will they ship to a mailing address in Canada. They will only ship to a PR's actual residential address IN Canada. If IRCC perceives the PR is abroad (such as PR returned to Canada, made PR card application, then went abroad again while the application was pending), it will typically require an in-person pick-up of the new PR card.

"Also, can I apply for citizenship from outside Canada as I have spent 1095 days in Canada."​

Even if you can, better to apply while still in Canada.

Note, leaving Canada after applying for citizenship is a complicated subject. There is no law or rule against it, but there are logistical and procedural risks. This is a subject discussed at length and in-depth, in the citizenship part of this forum, and is a discussion that tends to get snagged in controversy. Either way, before doing this it would be prudent to carefully look more closely at what can be involved

There is also some discussion in the citizenship forum about the prospect of making the application itself while abroad. I have not sorted through that issue and do not know the answer. Factors to consider include those relevant to leaving Canada after applying.

For PR card, PR TD, and Citizenship Applications:

Be sure to look at the actual applications, instructions for the forms, and instructions in the respective guides. Good idea to do rough drafts to see how things go and what can come up.

If you just looked at the application for a PR card, for example, the very first thing the PR needs to do is declare whether they are present in Canada or not, and cannot proceed with making a PR card application unless the PR declares they are present in Canada. Which directly answers the first question you posed here.

If in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions.

rajivsharma2004

Sep 25, 2018
When does your PR card expire? You can apply to renew your PR card up to 9 months before your current PR card expires.

Yes, you can apply for citizenship from outside of Canada if you meet the 1095 day residency requirement.

If you do not become a citizen then you must continue to live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years to maintain your PR residency requirement. This is a rolling requirement and not tied to the validity of your PR card.
Thank you for the response.
One last thing, If I leave the country after 3 years w/o applying for the citizenship and we renew our PR card for the next rolling years, Do I have to stay again for 3 years to be eligible for the citizenship or we can appply for it anytime in the next rolling 5 years? And my son is 10 years old, does he have to be in the country for his citizenship If one of the parents would stay here to apply for him?

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
One last thing, If I leave the country after 3 years w/o applying for the citizenship and we renew our PR card for the next rolling years, Do I have to stay again for 3 years to be eligible for the citizenship or we can appply for it anytime in the next rolling 5 years? And my son is 10 years old, does he have to be in the country for his citizenship If one of the parents would stay here to apply for him?
Citizenship is 1095 days in Canada within 4 years...not 5 years...That says, if you live in for 3 years, the last day you can file your citizenship application is the 364th day after you leave Canada. If you miss this, yes, you cannot add up your days for the past 4 years to 1095 days, so you have to add up another 3 years...

rajivsharma2004

Sep 25, 2018
Citizenship is 1095 days in Canada within 4 years...not 5 years...That says, if you live in for 3 years, the last day you can file your citizenship application is the 364th day after you leave Canada. If you miss this, yes, you cannot add up your days for the past 4 years to 1095 days, so you have to add up another 3 years...
[/QUOT
Thank you, but its little confusing. what do you mean by 364th day?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No, it's 3 out of the last 5 years.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility.html

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Regarding physical presence requirement: @scylla is correct. @bricksonly is NOT.

While a PR must have valid PR status (and thus must remain in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation) to be eligible for citizenship, otherwise eligibility for citizenship is NOT connected to or dependent on the PR card. For example, if otherwise eligible for citizenship, a PR does NOT need to have a valid PR card to make an application for citizenship which will lead to being granted citizenship.

The physical presence requirement for a grant of citizenship requires actual physical presence IN Canada for at least 1095 days during the "eligibility period." The current eligibility period (this is subject to change and has changed three times in the last seven years) is the five year period ending the day before the application is made (date signed).

I am not current with how it works for minors. See the citizenship part of this forum for better discussions of citizenship application requirements and processing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Looks like you may have only received PR in 2019 which would make it too early to apply to renew your PR cards. When did you land as a PR? When does your PR card expire? That would mean you will have to return to Canada to file for a new PR card and likely return to Canada to pick-up a new PR card.