+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR or citizenship for Child of New Canadian Citizens born abroad in US

believeinbest

Jul 28, 2015
Hi folks,

We just became Canadian citizens in September 2021.Our son was born in US one month before we became Canadians so he is US citizen by birth. I want to bring my son back to Canada. Can he get Canadian citizenship or PR status in Canada? If yes, what will be the process?

In addition, once he becomes a permanent resident as a newborn or a toddler, how long he has to live in Canada to apply for citizenship?

Thanks for your help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi folks,

We just became Canadian citizens in September 2021.Our son was born in US one month before we became Canadians so he is US citizen by birth. I want to bring my son back to Canada. Can he get Canadian citizenship or PR status in Canada? If yes, what will be the process?

In addition, once he becomes a permanent resident as a newborn or a toddler, how long he has to live in Canada to apply for citizenship?

Thanks for your help.
1. He would need PR status before you could apply for his citizenship.
2. No residency requirements, See: https://tinyurl.com/yy4ff3lu for requirements

believeinbest

Jul 28, 2015
Thanks PMM. Very helpful!

Do you know if I am able to file for his PR from outside Canada? Or do we need to move back to Canada first and then do it?

Any insights on the PR sponsorship process will be greatly appreciated.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Do you know if I am able to file for his PR from outside Canada? Or do we need to move back to Canada first and then do it?
As citizens, you can do either (including start the process while abroad and then move to Canada while it's being processed).

I doubt anyone can tell you which way might be faster.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks PMM. Very helpful!

Any insights on the PR sponsorship process will be greatly appreciated.
How are you sponsoring your parents if you are having a child in the US?