+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Online Portal - Steps to resolve all your portal submission issues.

Bhargavg2002

Star Member
Aug 20, 2017
PR portal is an easy way to apply the PR renewal without the worry of a paper trail, but the technical issues will waste your time, and test your patience.

So here are the solutions to almost all your issues working with the portal, it is an along post but I hope it will help you.

I have just completed my PR Renewal Online portal submission after spending 6hr, just because the portal needs a certain way to fill out the application.

Here are the common issues you will face on the page for contact information

if it didn't let you move forward

change the phone number format on the second/or another phone number section
from xxx-xxx-xxxx to xxxxxxxxxx ( do this only if the first time it didn't work with '-' if it did don't bother to do this change, if you have save the application and returned later, this will be your first error)

this will change the save and continue to green and you can proceed to address history.

during address history and work history updates, it will give you an error saying 'no gap between dates'

so for the date sequence use the following step to move forward.

2020/10/01 - xxxx current address
xxxx - 2020/10/01 previous address. ( the end date should match the start date of the next address)

for work history, follow the same steps for dates.
If you have gaps between the jobs use 'unemployed' as a separate row.
this should let you save and continue to the next section where you finally declare the dates of absence and complete the submission.

For all other sections, it should be straightforward.

For the payment section, the payment link will take you to another page where you have to make a selection of' permanent residence' and ' the renewal or PRTD'

then it will ask you to log in, which is a separate login for just payment, after you create a login, it will prompt the cart with following

Permanent Resident card Qty ..... fee 50 ( fill '1' next to qty)
Permanent Resident Travel Document Qty ..... fee 50 (fill '0' next to qty)

and submit, then it will show the total fee and ask you a question for the checkmark ' you are paying for your application..xxxx' . once you select it will show the payment page.

cardholder name....
card number .... date expiry... CVV...

fill in the details and submit, once the payment is approved it will show a page with a receipt to print ( a copy will be sent to the email with which you have registered)
Save the receipt pdf to the local computer.

Update the receipt document name with 'your name + receipt number) and upload to the pr portal document list where it says the proof of payment.

few other key things:
- While uploading a photo if you receive the error ' photo is too bright or too dark, open the photo in any photo editor and increase or decrease the brightness of the photo and save it before you reupload.
- if it says the photo doesn't meet the requirements warning, it is possible that the head shape is a bit smaller than required so crop it such that the guided oval shapes match your head size by moving the crop corners inward and aligning the ovals to the head.

- Don't forget to upload the document checklist(IMM5644 page with appropriate selections of the items), I have changed the name of the document to ' your name + Document Checklist

-change every document you upload with the format ' your name + document name'

-for passport upload, you need to scan the front and last bio pages, and the landing visa page which you get stamped at the time of landing for permanent resident.
( if it is an old passport with which you have landed, then add the bio and address pages of the new passport along with the old passport date to avoid issues.)

Here are a few browser-based issues,
- clear the cache of the browser
- pause the ad blocker on your browser
- use chrome or Firefox instead of internet explorer.

I hope these steps help you save time and headaches...

manpreet4875

Star Member
Mar 27, 2011
PR portal is an easy way to apply the PR renewal without the worry of a paper trail, but the technical issues will waste your time, and test your patience.

So here are the solutions to almost all your issues working with the portal, it is an along post but I hope it will help you.

I have just completed my PR Renewal Online portal submission after spending 6hr, just because the portal needs a certain way to fill out the application.

Here are the common issues you will face on the page for contact information

if it didn't let you move forward

change the phone number format on the second/or another phone number section
from xxx-xxx-xxxx to xxxxxxxxxx ( do this only if the first time it didn't work with '-' if it did don't bother to do this change, if you have save the application and returned later, this will be your first error)

this will change the save and continue to green and you can proceed to address history.

during address history and work history updates, it will give you an error saying 'no gap between dates'

so for the date sequence use the following step to move forward.

2020/10/01 - xxxx current address
xxxx - 2020/10/01 previous address. ( the end date should match the start date of the next address)

for work history, follow the same steps for dates.
If you have gaps between the jobs use 'unemployed' as a separate row.
this should let you save and continue to the next section where you finally declare the dates of absence and complete the submission.

For all other sections, it should be straightforward.

For the payment section, the payment link will take you to another page where you have to make a selection of' permanent residence' and ' the renewal or PRTD'

then it will ask you to log in, which is a separate login for just payment, after you create a login, it will prompt the cart with following

Permanent Resident card Qty ..... fee 50 ( fill '1' next to qty)
Permanent Resident Travel Document Qty ..... fee 50 (fill '0' next to qty)

and submit, then it will show the total fee and ask you a question for the checkmark ' you are paying for your application..xxxx' . once you select it will show the payment page.

cardholder name....
card number .... date expiry... CVV...

fill in the details and submit, once the payment is approved it will show a page with a receipt to print ( a copy will be sent to the email with which you have registered)
Save the receipt pdf to the local computer.

Update the receipt document name with 'your name + receipt number) and upload to the pr portal document list where it says the proof of payment.

few other key things:
- While uploading a photo if you receive the error ' photo is too bright or too dark, open the photo in any photo editor and increase or decrease the brightness of the photo and save it before you reupload.
- if it says the photo doesn't meet the requirements warning, it is possible that the head shape is a bit smaller than required so crop it such that the guided oval shapes match your head size by moving the crop corners inward and aligning the ovals to the head.

- Don't forget to upload the document checklist(IMM5644 page with appropriate selections of the items), I have changed the name of the document to ' your name + Document Checklist

-change every document you upload with the format ' your name + document name'

-for passport upload, you need to scan the front and last bio pages, and the landing visa page which you get stamped at the time of landing for permanent resident.
( if it is an old passport with which you have landed, then add the bio and address pages of the new passport along with the old passport date to avoid issues.)

Here are a few browser-based issues,
- clear the cache of the browser
- pause the ad blocker on your browser
- use chrome or Firefox instead of internet explorer.

I hope these steps help you save time and headaches...
Good , detailed information.. Only one point related to dates for address history that your last date should on particular address , should not same with the next address. Suppose I stayed on one address till 31st of march then next address date should start with 1st of April.. I filled the form 2 days back & there was absolutely no issue...Only you need to fill the latest address first.. Also adding one more point that fields where "required" mentioned is the mandatory field other only need to fill if applicable, for example alternative phone no...if you dont have or done want to mention still you can save it & move forward

Bhargavg2002

Star Member
Aug 20, 2017
Good , detailed information.. Only one point related to dates for address history that your last date should on particular address , should not same with the next address. Suppose I stayed on one address till 31st of march then next address date should start with 1st of April.. I filled the form 2 days back & there was absolutely no issue...Only you need to fill the latest address first.. Also adding one more point that fields where "required" mentioned is the mandatory field other only need to fill if applicable, for example alternative phone no...if you dont have or done want to mention still you can save it & move forward
I have done the same way as you have described it, but it didn't allow me to finish the application. Keep on saying that there were gaps in my list. Not sure what is going on. if it worked the way you have mentioned I would take the same approach.

manpreet4875

Star Member
Mar 27, 2011
I have done the same way as you have described it, but it didn't allow me to finish the application. Keep on saying that there were gaps in my list. Not sure what is going on. if it worked the way you have mentioned I would take the same approach.
clear all details & fill gain...recent first..