+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR obligation

gl02tl

Jan 24, 2013
Hello

I got my PR in 2008 June, and full filled 1095 days resident requirement by 2010. I have submitted my canadian citizenship application in 2010 and now still waiting for a test to be arranged. I moved to Hong Kong to work in 2011 April while my wife still working in Canada. We had our daugher borned in canada in June 2012 and I have got the canadian passport for her. As my PR card will be expiring in June 2013 and I will be out of Canada for 1095 days by May 2014. Can someone help to answer following questions?

1.My wife and I applied canadian citizenship back in 2010. I am the principal application for canadian citizenship, My wife been live in canada all the time since landed. my question is if by the time I am no longer qualified for PR obligation, Will my wife still able to get Canadian citizenshp or will the whole application got refused?

2. If the whole application got refused , will my wife still able to renew her PR card?

3. If both canadian citizenship and PR card got expired , given my daugher is still canadian , will we able to reapply PR by canadian experience category as I was worked and studied in Canada for 10 years. Thank you and appreciated your help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. There is no principal applicant for citizenship. I am not sure what happens if you applied together in a package, you losing your PR could definitely delay her application but she still qualifies for citizenship even if you don't.

2. Your wife can still renew her PR card regardless of what happens with the citizenship appliation.

3. You would not be eligible for PR based on your daughter being Canadian or under CEC because CEC requires that you worked in Canada for at least 1 year in the last 3 years. Your wife could however sponsor you for PR again.

gl02tl

Jan 24, 2013
Thanks for your promotely response, So I should still able to renew my PR before June 2014 ( out of country more than 1095 day) right>? And as long my wife gets her citizenship, then if she come to live with me I will able to keep my PR even I do not live in Canada , is this right? Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gl02tl said:
Thanks for your promotely response, So I should still able to renew my PR before June 2014 ( out of country more than 1095 day) right>? And as long my wife gets her citizenship, then if she come to live with me I will able to keep my PR even I do not live in Canada , is this right? Thanks
You can apply to renew your PR at a time that you still meet the residency requirements, that is, you still have not been outside Canada for more than 1095 days in the past 5 years at the time you apply. However, even if you do get your PR card renewed, if you continue to stay outside Canada, you will soon not meet the residency requirements any more and immigration could report you at your next entry and make you appeal to keep your PR status. However, it is unlikely to be pulled out and reported if you have a brand new PR card.

If your wife gets her citizenship and you at that point have never been reported and have not lost your PR status, your PR status will be in good standing again once your wife has lived with you for 730 days.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gl02tl said:
......1.My wife and I applied canadian citizenship back in 2010. I am the principal application for canadian citizenship, My wife been live in canada all the time since landed. my question is if by the time I am no longer qualified for PR obligation, Will my wife still able to get Canadian citizenshp or will the whole application got refused?
What is your timeline for this application i.e. date received at Sidney, date you received booklet/ letter, date recevied test notification etc. Unless you applied at the end of 2010 and have received an RQ your application has gone over the 21 month routine timeline and something may be amis. You may want to get your GCMS notes and depending on where things are split your wife from your application.

gl02tl

Jan 24, 2013
We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on August 16, 2010.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on August 20, 2010.
We started processing your application on May 15, 2011.

Your file was transferred to the SC CIC office on June 15, 2011.
We sent you a letter on July 26, 2011. finger print request,
Aug 20 2012, finger print resubmitted due to expires

being told in Dec 2012 that I will be scheduled for test soon , but so far have not heard anything

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need to request that CIC split up your application and process your application and your wife's application separately. Since you submitted the application as a family, it will be processed together and your application will create problems for your wife's application.

gl02tl

Jan 24, 2013
how can I do this ? I thought you have to apply together for citizenship application? Otherwise it would be much better if mywife get the citizenship and I maintain PR status

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't have to apply for citizenship together. After getting PR, there is no principal applicant any more. Each PR is responsible for their own residency requirements and each PR is able to apply for citizenship on his own when he or she qualifies.

gl02tl

Jan 24, 2013
My case is processing at st clair and was being told I will be scheduled for testing back in December, How long usually take for them to schedule the test? Will it actually slow down the process if I now decide to split the case? Am I just need to contact CIC call center and tell them I would like to split up my application?or I have to write to st clair to do so ? Thank you