+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR moving to USA with Citizen

satsepa

Dec 15, 2016
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions:

Context: me and my husband are moving to NYC May 2017. He's Canadian (born), I have a PR card (which expires Dec 2018). I will be eligible for citizenship on Oct 2017, but we will not be in Canada. We have plans to come back but we're not sure of when exactly yet.

Q1) I will not be able to apply citizenship under the current Immigration act, unless I show intent to come back and reside in Canada or Bill C-6 is made law—no? I will have all other requirements: as said above, I will have 4 out of 6 years in May 2017 and I will have 6 out of 12 months of those 4 years physically present in Canada; I will continue to pay taxes.

Q2) Regardless, I will be able to renew my PR card in 2018 no? Since I left in May 2017 and my PR card was issued in Oct 2013, I will have had more than 730 days present in Canada.

Thank you in advance for your help!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
how did you obtain your PR status. were you sponsored by your canadian husband?

satsepa

Dec 15, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
how did you obtain your PR status. were you sponsored by your canadian husband?
I obtained my PR card on oct 2013 through the Canadian Experience Class. I came to Toronto for university (student visa), got my bacherlor's degree, work visa was granted easily after school, found a job right away after school and applied for residency as soon as I was eligible (after 1 year of work experience, I think--I can't remember exactly how much it was needed at the time).

My husband and I got married this past October.