+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR met Temporary foreign worker inside Canada. Can I sponsor?

ferma18

Apr 14, 2024
I met my boyfriend when I came as a temporary foreign worker. He is also a temporary foreign worker. He is my colleague. We also share the same address since our company provided us with staff accommodations. We are always together, even during work and on off days. Moving forward, after one year, I got nominated for the BC PNP. Then I applied for PR afterwards. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have enough points for BC PNP, and worse, our employer does not have LMIA for TFW anymore. That was unexpected. So he decided to apply to another employer who has LMIA and change provinces to maintain his status as TFW. He really needs to change since he came here to Canada first before I do. His work permit will expire after 9 months, so he really needs to change. Now, we are in a long-distance relationship. We are consistently communicating and we are planning to see each other if we have a budget since he is too far away. What can I do to sponsor him if I received my PR? So that we can just be together again and he will not struggle to find an employer since my PR is in process. Since we are just a new couple, I don’t know how to prove to immigration that we genuinely love each other. We do not have joint accounts. We did not live together like a married couple since we have separate rooms but have the same address because of the staff accommodation. We always stay in one room during off-days and visit each other after work. We do have a lot of pictures together. We travelled a lot. We also have pictures with our friends and conversations that we can present. He even told me before that he put my name as a beneficiary on his life insurance. I don’t have life insurance yet. What else should I do? Is it still applicable to common law?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I met my boyfriend when I came as a temporary foreign worker. He is also a temporary foreign worker. He is my colleague. We also share the same address since our company provided us with staff accommodations. We are always together, even during work and on off days. Moving forward, after one year, I got nominated for the BC PNP. Then I applied for PR afterwards. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have enough points for BC PNP, and worse, our employer does not have LMIA for TFW anymore. That was unexpected. So he decided to apply to another employer who has LMIA and change provinces to maintain his status as TFW. He really needs to change since he came here to Canada first before I do. His work permit will expire after 9 months, so he really needs to change. Now, we are in a long-distance relationship. We are consistently communicating and we are planning to see each other if we have a budget since he is too far away. What can I do to sponsor him if I received my PR? So that we can just be together again and he will not struggle to find an employer since my PR is in process. Since we are just a new couple, I don’t know how to prove to immigration that we genuinely love each other. We do not have joint accounts. We did not live together like a married couple since we have separate rooms but have the same address because of the staff accommodation. We always stay in one room during off-days and visit each other after work. We do have a lot of pictures together. We travelled a lot. We also have pictures with our friends and conversations that we can present. He even told me before that he put my name as a beneficiary on his life insurance. I don’t have life insurance yet. What else should I do? Is it still applicable to common law?
So are you getting married? Have you lived together for one year continuously since you say you are a new couple?

ferma18

Apr 14, 2024
So are you getting married? Have you lived together for one year continuously since you say you are a new couple?
We’re not planning to get married. But we do want to live together. We do lived together continuously when we were still working in same company. But we have separate rooms since our accommodation is only applicable for one person each room - it is our staff accommodation from the company. But we have the same address.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
We’re not planning to get married. But we do want to live together. We do lived together continuously when we were still working in same company. But we have separate rooms since our accommodation is only applicable for one person each room - it is our staff accommodation from the company. But we have the same address.
To be considered common law, you need to live together continually for a minimum of one year plus share bank accounts, utilities bills etc. Not sure staff accommodations will count as co-habitation. You will need more than sharing a staff accommodations address. Do you have any other proof other than an address and pictures? When did you stop living together? What years did you “live” together? Were you a couple for the whole time you were living together? What are the timelines of your relationship including when you applied for a got PR?

Last edited: