+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR issue - Should I Apply Through Express Entry or Common-Law?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
takoy said:
My situation: I'm 23, Chinese, came here in 2009 and went to SFU for Finance till fall 2014.
My work experience: did 8 month full-time co-op internship (marketing assistant) during school, 1 month full-time role as a marketing coordinator in May 2015, and started at a new company as a online community manager (marketing coordinator + client support) this August.

If you started your own company, that means you are self-employed and the work experience cannot be used under the CEC class.

You are better off going under family class -

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
takoy said:
We're pretty young and I have just graduated. We don't have any paper records together.. Our friends & family can support us but I doubt that's enough. I literally have no paper bills/bank statements whatsoever anymore (e-statements/bills now) and neither does he. He moved in with me so even though we were splitting utilities/rent there was no paper records of that.... :(
Just because you routinely receive e-statements does not mean you cannot get documents from banks, utility companies, etc. When he moved in with you, he still had to change his address on many documents - driver's license? health card? CRA / tax documents? A letter from the Bank?

If any of the utilities are in his name (or both of your names) you can request 'letters of credit' from the company.

After you have been living together for a year, you need to notify the CRA of your common-law status - you can fill out this form - it also becomes a document you can use .... Do it now, even if it's "late" -
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/mrtl/menu-eng.html

you have to start documenting things... ... open a joint bank account, add his name to a utilty, etc. If you at least can document how long you have shared an address, that's half the battle. And it doesn't matter if it's a printout from an e-statement, it will still help.

hasbeenkid

Jan 1, 2015
You are like me.

I was gonna apply for PR through CEC first but since EE score doesn't seem to go down, me and my Canadian gf also decided to gather all the documents that can prove we lived more than 1 year. (Common-Law)