+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Holder in US, Visitor Visa for spouse

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
Hi Experts,
I have PR but my spouse does not and both of us are in the USA currently. We had applied for a visitor visa (TRV) for my spouse 4 months back and have completed the biometrics 3 months back.

We had earlier booked accommodations for May with a tentative travel itinerary. We haven't received any updates on the application and are in a dilemma on whether to push out the stay accommodations (if so by how much) and whether to reach out to IRCC to get updates on the application. Our intent was to travel/ visit Canada as soon as the borders are opened for non-essential or by October. Any recommendations on if we need to call/ email IRCC on application status/ updates ?

Thanks for your responses

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Experts,
I have PR but my spouse does not and both of us are in the USA currently. We had applied for a visitor visa (TRV) for my spouse 4 months back and have completed the biometrics 3 months back.

We had earlier booked accommodations for May with a tentative travel itinerary. We haven't received any updates on the application and are in a dilemma on whether to push out the stay accommodations (if so by how much) and whether to reach out to IRCC to get updates on the application. Our intent was to travel/ visit Canada as soon as the borders are opened for non-essential or by October. Any recommendations on if we need to call/ email IRCC on application status/ updates ?

Thanks for your responses
Are you compliant with your RO? It looks lie you may have landed in 2015/16. It is very hard for spouses of PRs or citizens to get TRVs because they are usually not visitors and want to remain in Canada to be sponsored so there is unfortunately no guarantee that your spouse will get a TRV. You are also in a 3rd country which makes it even harder to prove that they have strong ties to their home country and will not remain in Canada. Have you flagged your case for priority processing because a spouse of a PR would qualify for travel if approved? Doesn't sound like you have. I have attached the website with the webform to make sure your application is prioritized for processing. This doesn't guarantee approval but you should hear within a month or two

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/visa.html

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
Are you compliant with your RO? It looks lie you may have landed in 2015/16. It is very hard for spouses of PRs or citizens to get TRVs because they are usually not visitors and want to remain in Canada to be sponsored so there is unfortunately no guarantee that your spouse will get a TRV. You are also in a 3rd country which makes it even harder to prove that they have strong ties to their home country and will not remain in Canada. Have you flagged your case for priority processing because a spouse of a PR would qualify for travel if approved? Doesn't sound like you have. I have attached the website with the webform to make sure your application is prioritized for processing. This doesn't guarantee approval but you should hear within a month or two

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/visa.html
Thanks for the response!
I did a soft landing in 2018 and currently have 2.5 years to honor the RO. Me and my spouse have a job in US currently which is what we were hoping to show strong ties back to US.
In case we dont hear back on the TRV, I intend to move to Canada in next 6-8 weeks and start the PR processing for my spouse so that my spouse can join me (hopefully) within a year. In that case should we cancel the TRV application before we start the dependent/spousal PR application ? Will the biometrics gathered for TRV still be valid for PR application ? I believe I can kick start the Spousal PR application once I land in Canada.

Also does anyone have any thoughts/ tips whether I should fly or drive to Canada from US ? Are there any downsides with driving and quarantine criterion that anyone has faced in the last couple of weeks/ months ?

Again appreciate the help!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the response!
I did a soft landing in 2018 and currently have 2.5 years to honor the RO. Me and my spouse have a job in US currently which is what we were hoping to show strong ties back to US.
In case we dont hear back on the TRV, I intend to move to Canada in next 6-8 weeks and start the PR processing for my spouse so that my spouse can join me (hopefully) within a year. In that case should we cancel the TRV application before we start the dependent/spousal PR application ? Will the biometrics gathered for TRV still be valid for PR application ? I believe I can kick start the Spousal PR application once I land in Canada.

Also does anyone have any thoughts/ tips whether I should fly or drive to Canada from US ? Are there any downsides with driving and quarantine criterion that anyone has faced in the last couple of weeks/ months ?

Again appreciate the help!
No harm in applying for TRV even if you have moved to Canada and filed for sponsorship. You must be compliant with your RO to sponsor. Yes you will need to be in Canada to sponsor your spouse minus a short vacation. Biometrics will be valid for both apps. There is a quarantine hotel required if arriving by plane but not by land. You must quarantine for 14 days on arrival. The situation is fluid so check closer to your departure time.

manikmonday

Star Member
Oct 21, 2015
Thank you for your response! Quick followup on
You must be compliant with your RO to sponsor
Can I still sponsor within the first couple of months after I land in Canada or will I have to wait 2 years (to fulfil RO) and only then apply for sponsorship ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your response! Quick followup on
Can I still sponsor within the first couple of months after I land in Canada or will I have to wait 2 years (to fulfil RO) and only then apply for sponsorship ?
As l9ong as you can still complete the 2 years within 5 years of your landing date you can sponsor right away.