+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR for Spouse

vendetta101

Mar 2, 2014
Hello All,

Thanks for your help in advance.. have a question related to Spouse WP. My story is as follows:

1. I am currently graduating from University of Toronto and my student visa expires in Nov '14
2. I have recently got married and my spouse is working in our home country.
3. Upon graduation I would be applying for Provincial Nomination Program (PNP) for PR and would like to show my spouse as dependent.

Following are the questions which I have:
A. Can I name my spouse as dependent ?
B. Does my spouse need to be in the canada when I apply for our PR ?
C. In case me and my spouse get the PR - does she need to apply for a Work Permit separately?
D. Does she need to provide her IELTS scores along with the PR application in case she would be working in Canada post the PR?

Alternatively, Point E - Can my spouse apply for a Open Work Permit as soon as she lands in Canada (provided she comes over here on TRV).. Is there a cooling period or a qualification period before she is eligible for OWP application?

Apologies to bombard with all these questions.. Just want to ensure which is the best possible option.

Once again.. appreciate all the help...

thanks everyone.

Regards
Ven

immigrationaspirant

Oct 29, 2013
vendetta101 said:
Hello All,

Thanks for your help in advance.. have a question related to Spouse WP. My story is as follows:

1. I am currently graduating from University of Toronto and my student visa expires in Nov '14
2. I have recently got married and my spouse is working in our home country.
3. Upon graduation I would be applying for Provincial Nomination Program (PNP) for PR and would like to show my spouse as dependent.

Following are the questions which I have:
A. Can I name my spouse as dependent ?
B. Does my spouse need to be in the canada when I apply for our PR ?
C. In case me and my spouse get the PR - does she need to apply for a Work Permit separately?
D. Does she need to provide her IELTS scores along with the PR application in case she would be working in Canada post the PR?

Alternatively, Point E - Can my spouse apply for a Open Work Permit as soon as she lands in Canada (provided she comes over here on TRV).. Is there a cooling period or a qualification period before she is eligible for OWP application?

Apologies to bombard with all these questions.. Just want to ensure which is the best possible option.

Once again.. appreciate all the help...

thanks everyone.

Regards
Ven
Yes you can name your wife as a dependent in your PR application even if she is outside Canada. This answers both your questions.

If you get a PR then why would you want to apply for a WP ? From what I understand is that you have just graduated and now applying for an Open Graduate Work Permit. Your wife can still get an Open Work Permit based on your Work Permit regardless of your occupation. But depends which country your wife is residing in. Some of them do not issue work or visitor visas that easily. I had a harrowing time with the visa office. Be very cautious when applying for her Work Permit while you are on your OGWP.

Every visa office has its own requirements. In most cases she might not need it, because I don't remember my wife giving any IELTS exams, nevertheless she was refused because the visa officer believed that she will not return to her home country because of her family ties in Canada (A generic reason). Anyway, I highly encourage you to add her in your PNP and PR application.

reenku

Feb 22, 2014
Hello....
I have applied for ainp with my husband as dependant. I already got my file no. I will extend my work permit after getting ainp. Can I include my husband's name in work permit application? If he can come here in canada after ainp approval???