+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR for a minor, list of documents

Mar 9, 2021
Hi there,
We are applying to sponsor my stepson to come from Europe. He is 18 years old so falls under the Minor sponsorship.

I am a little bit lost. This page says that we should apply for sponsorship and his PR at the same time. I thought the sponsorship lead to PR, also the sponsorship fees cover the Right of Residence fee. It is also explained that a new resident does not need to apply for a PR card as it is issued automatically. If so what do they mean by "apply for PR at the same time" as applying for his sponsorship? The Sponsorship application package doesn't even mention PR application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/apply.html

What have you done?

Thank you kindly,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,
We are applying to sponsor my stepson to come from Europe. He is 18 years old so falls under the Minor sponsorship.

I am a little bit lost. This page says that we should apply for sponsorship and his PR at the same time. I thought the sponsorship lead to PR, also the sponsorship fees cover the Right of Residence fee. It is also explained that a new resident does not need to apply for a PR card as it is issued automatically. If so what do they mean by "apply for PR at the same time" as applying for his sponsorship? The Sponsorship application package doesn't even mention PR application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/apply.html

What have you done?

Thank you kindly,
Sponsorship is the portion of the application where you (the sponsor) is assessed to determine if you qualify. The PR part of the application covers the information / processing for the individual you want to sponsor (your stepson in this case) to confirm he meets the requirements (e.g. health, criminality, security, etc.) to be granted PR status. Follow the instructions in the link you gave above and complete and submit all of the forms and evidence (both sponsorship and PR) as part of one application package.

The PR card is not the same thing as PR status itself or the PR part of the application. It's correct that you do not need to submit a separate PR card application. The PR card will be issued automatically as part of the landing process.

Reactions: Lostinpaperwork
Mar 9, 2021
Sponsorship is the portion of the application where you (the sponsor) is assessed to determine if you qualify. The PR part of the application covers the information / processing for the individual you want to sponsor (your stepson in this case) to confirm he meets the requirements (e.g. health, criminality, security, etc.) to be granted PR status. Follow the instructions in the link you gave above and complete and submit all of the forms and evidence (both sponsorship and PR) as part of one application package.

The PR card is not the same thing as PR status itself or the PR part of the application. It's correct that you do not need to submit a separate PR card application. The PR card will be issued automatically as part of the landing process.
Thank you!