+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Expired - Residency Obligation

sm2312

Jul 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

This post is just to thank Leon and all others who contribute to this forum.

Heres my story -

Landed in March 2006 and left in 15 days. Moved to Canada in Feb 2010 with only 14 months left on the PR Card which expied in Apr 2011. Was about to apply for renewal based on the information provided by my immigration consultant and had completed the application but cam across this forum and decided not to apply till I had 730 days in Canada.

Applied on May 18, 2012 and my application was received on May 25. checked status online today and the CIC website says that the application has been approved on July 6 and I will receive a letter in the next 4 weeks to go to the local CIC office and collect the PR card.

Based on the advise from Leon and others, you guys have helped me retain my PR status. Thank you.

Now my question is what should I be wary off while picking up the card and any other advise on the process. Secondly, can this process be expedited as I plan to travel outside the country in August. Lastly, I will have completed the 3 years residency requirement by May 2013 and wanted to know if I should apply for citizenship in May 2013 or given the above, wait for another 3 years??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't have to worry about going to pick up the PR card. Even if they knew that you did not meet the residency requirements at some point, they are only allowed to look at the 5 year period preceding your application.

You can apply for citizenship after 3 years but give yourself a couple of weeks cushion after you reach the 1095 days.

sm2312

Jul 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Leon.

Is there a way to expedite the process of getting the PR card after the approval.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sm2312 said:
Thanks Leon.

Is there a way to expedite the process of getting the PR card after the approval.
You can go to your local CIC office and ask them. It is possible that they already have the card there but are dealing with other appointments. You could ask them if you can get in earlier because you are planning to travel.

sm2312

Jul 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Leon,

I spoke to the Call Centre on Friday and was informed that since April 30, 2012, they are doing a pilot project where 90% of all approved applications will be sent directly by Canada Post and only 10% selected randomly will be sent to the local office for delivery. As per the agent, my case was not marked for delivery through the local office and as such will be delivered by Canada Post directly.