+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Document

Yjan Raae

May 10, 2018
I need some assistance, I am currently still married to a Canadian Citizen and was given my Landed Papers in 1994, I lived, worked and paid taxes in Canada for 10 yrs. before I left with my daughter who was born in Canada, I never received a PR card.I left Canada in 2007 to take care of my grandmother who was ill in the Carribean. I would like to return to Canada with my daughter who is getting ready for College(17yrs). My husband still lives in Canada with our son. How do I get my status reinstated? I still have my expired SI card and a copy of my landed papers (expired). I would appreciate any help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I need some assistance, I am currently still married to a Canadian Citizen and was given my Landed Papers in 1994, I lived, worked and paid taxes in Canada for 10 yrs. before I left with my daughter who was born in Canada, I never received a PR card.I left Canada in 2007 to take care of my grandmother who was ill in the Carribean. I would like to return to Canada with my daughter who is getting ready for College(17yrs). My husband still lives in Canada with our son. How do I get my status reinstated? I still have my expired SI card and a copy of my landed papers (expired). I would appreciate any help.
Given how long you've been outside of Canada, you really only have one option to try to save your PR status. You would need to fly to the US and then try re-entering Canada through a US/Canada land border using a private vehicle. If you are not reported at the border for failing to meet the residency requirement, then you can remain in Canada for two years straight and then apply to renew your PR status.

Alternatively, you can officially give up your PR status now and have your husband sponsor you for PR as his spouse. You'll need to be able to demonstrate that you still have a marriage-like relationship (i.e. visit each other frequently, talk daily, have joint assets and property, etc.).

Your daughter is free to return whenever she wishes since she is a citizen.

Yjan Raae

May 10, 2018
I did reach out to the Canadian immigration and was told that I should apply for a PR travel document? That would give me my status that way? (not sure if that is true). If I do go to the US and they deny my status, will they allow me entry at that time for 2 years? I would not like to have my daughter accompanying me and get denied entry, that would be way too traumatic for her.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I did reach out to the Canadian immigration and was told that I should apply for a PR travel document? That would give me my status that way? (not sure if that is true). If I do go to the US and they deny my status, will they allow me entry at that time for 2 years? I would not like to have my daughter accompanying me and get denied entry, that would be way too traumatic for her.
Yes - you can apply for a PR Travel document - however the travel document will almost certainly be refused given how long you've been outside of Canada and then your PR status officially revoked. If you still want to try going this route - you would need to provide very strong evidence of why you were unable to return to Canada for so long. Again, given how long you've been outside of Canada, very high chance of refusal and having your PR status officially revoked.

If you go to the US and you're reported at the border for failing to meet the residency requirement, you will be allowed into Canada - but will then have to appear at an immigration hearing and can expect your PR status to be officially revoked.