+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR DAYS OF OBLIGATION & CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION

naio

Feb 4, 2013
Dear All,
This forum is so great! Thanks to all that contribute here. I have been reading and getting information in this forum; Now please I need your advise. This is my situation - I like planning ahead of time.

- I became PR on 10th july 2010
- Due to apply for citizenship on the 4th Feb 2014 ( I should have accumulated 1095 days)
- My PR card will expire July 2015 ( it takes a minimum of 5months! to renew)

.......Now my question;
- What should i do first? Apply for PR renewal or Apply for citizenship?
- If i apply for citizinship in feb 2014 and the process lingers beyound July 2015 ( I have read such cases) , that means I cannot leave Canada unlease I apply for TD
- Can I apply for both PR renewal and Citizenship at the same time?
- Is there any downside for doing so?

I will appreciate you input in this , as I do not want to be under any form of pressure......

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Expect the citizenship application process to take closer to 2 years. I believe current processing times are 21 months.

Go ahead and apply for citizenship when you qualify and also apply to renew your PR card when the time comes.

rg2012

Star Member
Sep 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Expect the citizenship application process to take closer to 2 years. I believe current processing times are 21 months.

Go ahead and apply for citizenship when you qualify and also apply to renew your PR card when the time comes.
Agreed. Come Feb 2014, naio, if you are eligible to apply for Citizenship, do it. Its not like you can even apply for a PR Card renewal that early (since your PR card is due to expire only in July 2015). And once its time to renew your PR card, do it. It won't affect your application negatively at all.

naio

Feb 4, 2013
rg2012 said:
Agreed. Come Feb 2014, naio, if you are eligible to apply for Citizenship, do it. Its not like you can even apply for a PR Card renewal that early (since your PR card is due to expire only in July 2015). And once its time to renew your PR card, do it. It won't affect your application negatively at all.
Many thanks Scylla and rg2012.
But rg2012 ; You mentioned ' And once its time to renew your PR card, do it. It won't affect your application negatively at all' - My question is , How do I know the best time to apply for PR renewal?

I will surely qualify for Citizenship application in Feb 2014 ; However, I need to know when is the right timing to apply for PR renewal , while Citizenship process is still ongoing , in order not to restrict me from travelling outside Canada during that period, should there be any need to do so .

Thanks in anticipation.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unless there are problems (such as incorrect photo specifications), it won't take 5 months to renew PR card. Don't renew until you accumulated 730 days in Canada.