+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR days count outside of Canada after expiry

Navitha D

Jan 12, 2024
Hi Everyone,

Quick question?
I am a Permanent resident in Canada staying here currently and my card got expired last month and did not meet 730 days requirement to renew PR card as If I stay till May 31st, I will meet count days requirement but due to some emergency I need travel outside of country with my husband as he is citizen.
Do days count for renewing PR If I stay with my spouse(citizen) outside of Canada with current PR card expired?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

Quick question?
I am a Permanent resident in Canada staying here currently and my card got expired last month and did not meet 730 days requirement to renew PR card as If I stay till May 31st, I will meet count days requirement but due to some emergency I need travel outside of country with my husband as he is citizen.
Do days count for renewing PR If I stay with my spouse(citizen) outside of Canada with current PR card expired?
I believe so, but...unless you hold a valid U.S. passport, returning to Canada via a commercial carrier may not be possible; you need either a valid PR Card or a PRTD to appease the carrier.

You could return to Canada via the U.S., if you can obtain a visa, but would then need to enter Canada at a land PoE in a personal vehicle or on foot.