+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal - what address do i give as current address?

rtpajan

Jun 12, 2016
Hi all,

I am applying to renew my PR card. However, I am moving out of canada soon and i want to give my friend's address so they can send it to me. So my question is what do i put in my current residential address and then in Current mailing address? under current mailing address it says PR will be sent to your residential address. Should I put my friend's address as my residential address?

2.7 Current mailing address in Canada (if different from above)All correspondence will be sent to the email address you provided in your application. Your PR Card will be sent to your residential address (the address where you live). PR Cards will only be mailed to post office (PO) boxes if this is your residential mailing address. It is important to note that PR Cards will not be mailed to third party addresses (e.g. representative, family member).

If Yes, then what do i put my latest address as in Address History?

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
That's also my puzzle. But lots of people just give a friend's address and received the card to my experience. I cannot say it's legal or not, that's the reality though

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Hi all,

I am applying to renew my PR card. However, I am moving out of canada soon and i want to give my friend's address so they can send it to me. So my question is what do i put in my current residential address and then in Current mailing address? under current mailing address it says PR will be sent to your residential address. Should I put my friend's address as my residential address?

2.7 Current mailing address in Canada (if different from above)All correspondence will be sent to the email address you provided in your application. Your PR Card will be sent to your residential address (the address where you live). PR Cards will only be mailed to post office (PO) boxes if this is your residential mailing address. It is important to note that PR Cards will not be mailed to third party addresses (e.g. representative, family member).

If Yes, then what do i put my latest address as in Address History?
Do you mean you just put your friend's address as your residence address when you send your application? Or you give your actual residence address but instead your friend's address for CURENT to receive PR card?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
While some people are successful having renewed PR Cards mailed to friends/family, the official policy seems to indicate that this is not allowed, at least not for Phase II cards (renewal or replacement of a lost or stolen card):
[source]: https://www.immigration.ca/mailing-permanent-resident-cards-to-representatives

From Operational Bulletin 491

Phase II Cards

• In certain situations, the CPC-S would only update the Global Case Management System (GCMS) with only the residential address of the applicant
  • They would do this in cases where:
    • Applications indicate the mailing address of a third party
    • Applications have a Use of Representative (IMM 5476) form on file
  • The CPC-S would record the mailing address of the third party in the GCMS as the third party address “Authorised to disclose”
  • The CPC-S would also mail the Permanent Resident Card to the client at the residential address provided
  • In certain cases, the CPC-S would send a letter to the applicant at the mailing address of the third party provided on the application (refer to the Template given subsequently)
  • This would take place when the CPC-S receives an application having:
    • The residential address of a third party
    • The mailing address of a third party and,
    • An IMM 5476 form on file
  • The letter would inform the applicant that:
    • Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) does not mail Permanent Resident Cards to third party addresses
    • Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) would mail the Permanent Resident Card to the residential address of the client (once the client provides the residential address)

The Template for the Letter Sent by CPC-S

CASE PROCESSING CENTRE

P.O. BOX 9000

SYDNEY, NS B1P 6K7

[Date]

[Client Name]

[Client ID]

[Street Address]

[City, Prov. Postal Code]

Your application indicates your representative’s address as your home and mailing address. As per subparagraph 56(2)(a)(iv) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, we require that applicants provide their personal mailing address, as Permanent Resident Cards are not mailed to third parties.

Please provide your mailing address and the information requested by “dd, mm, yyyy” to enable us to issue your Permanent Resident Card. If the information requested is not provided by the date indicated, we will consider your application as abandoned and you will have to submit a new application, including processing fees.

Once you have provided this information we will continue with the processing of your application.

Should you require further assistance, please visit our website.

Officer

Case Processing Centre

Sydney, Nova Scotia
---

At the end of the day, stating that your residential address is anything other than your real residential address, would be misrepresentation of the fact that it is NOT.

Rahal2000

Star Member
Nov 23, 2022
While some people are successful having renewed PR Cards mailed to friends/family, the official policy seems to indicate that this is not allowed, at least not for Phase II cards (renewal or replacement of a lost or stolen card):
[source]: https://www.immigration.ca/mailing-permanent-resident-cards-to-representatives

From Operational Bulletin 491

Phase II Cards

• In certain situations, the CPC-S would only update the Global Case Management System (GCMS) with only the residential address of the applicant
  • They would do this in cases where:
    • Applications indicate the mailing address of a third party
    • Applications have a Use of Representative (IMM 5476) form on file
  • The CPC-S would record the mailing address of the third party in the GCMS as the third party address “Authorised to disclose”
  • The CPC-S would also mail the Permanent Resident Card to the client at the residential address provided
  • In certain cases, the CPC-S would send a letter to the applicant at the mailing address of the third party provided on the application (refer to the Template given subsequently)
  • This would take place when the CPC-S receives an application having:
    • The residential address of a third party
    • The mailing address of a third party and,
    • An IMM 5476 form on file
  • The letter would inform the applicant that:
    • Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) does not mail Permanent Resident Cards to third party addresses
    • Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) would mail the Permanent Resident Card to the residential address of the client (once the client provides the residential address)

The Template for the Letter Sent by CPC-S

CASE PROCESSING CENTRE

P.O. BOX 9000

SYDNEY, NS B1P 6K7

[Date]

[Client Name]

[Client ID]

[Street Address]

[City, Prov. Postal Code]

Your application indicates your representative’s address as your home and mailing address. As per subparagraph 56(2)(a)(iv) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, we require that applicants provide their personal mailing address, as Permanent Resident Cards are not mailed to third parties.

Please provide your mailing address and the information requested by “dd, mm, yyyy” to enable us to issue your Permanent Resident Card. If the information requested is not provided by the date indicated, we will consider your application as abandoned and you will have to submit a new application, including processing fees.

Once you have provided this information we will continue with the processing of your application.

Should you require further assistance, please visit our website.

Officer

Case Processing Centre

Sydney, Nova Scotia
---

At the end of the day, stating that your residential address is anything other than your real residential address, would be misrepresentation of the fact that it is NOT.
What about the first PR card.
If an inlander wants to give a mailing address of a friend while he looks for a rental in that province, is this normal?