+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal Suggestion

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Looking for suggestion.

Wife's eligible for citizenship but it will take the time it does (not sure what is the processing time these days).
Her PR card is up for renewal in July of this year. She does have a US visit visa good till 2026. So I am thinking to skip PR card renewal and just apply for citizenship. (want to skip the pr card application if i can due to the fees mainly and the process that it will take). So, if she needs to travel out of Canada and come back until she gets the passport, land in the States and cross the border into Canada by road with the expired pr card.

Is this option safe and worth doing or better off with renewing the PR card ?

Thanks all

adstarscream732

May 6, 2019
Looking for suggestion.

Wife's eligible for citizenship but it will take the time it does (not sure what is the processing time these days).
Her PR card is up for renewal in July of this year. She does have a US visit visa good till 2026. So I am thinking to skip PR card renewal and just apply for citizenship. (want to skip the pr card application if i can due to the fees mainly and the process that it will take). So, if she needs to travel out of Canada and come back until she gets the passport, land in the States and cross the border into Canada by road with the expired pr card.

Thanks all

I think you should renew the PR card just to be safe. I think it is only $50.

Applying for Citizenship may take anywhere between 3 months to more than 12 months.

I am waiting for citizenship for almost 15 months now. So it is better just to renew the PR card, don't skip.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Looking for suggestion.

Thanks all
I don't think that will work.

Most PR cards are valid for five years, but some are only valid for one year. The expiry date is printed on the card. When your PR card expires, you can’t use it as a travel document. If your PR card will expire within six months, you should apply to renew your card. You need to be in Canada. If you’re re-entering Canada by commercial vehicle and have an expired PR card, get your PRTD to re-enter Canada.