+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal - Online Application & RO Proof Questions

AnnetteS

Jul 12, 2023
Hello all! Have a couple questions concerning online application form for a PR card renewal:

Proof of Residency
I have lived in Canada for 2 years in the last 5 (as a homemaker), however I do not have supporting documents that would cover the entire mandatory period (only about a year: bank statement and college certificate). Unfortunately, there is no way to delay the application for another year.

1) Will this seriously affect my application if I accurately meet the requirement to be physically present in Canada for 730 days?

Online application (IMM 5444)
2) Do I need to fill in the sections, which have no information (e.g., "Current name, if different from above", "Humanitarian grounds", etc.) as "NA", in the form on the portal or I can leave them blank?

3) Address History table: Should the dates overlap (e.g. "2018-05-12 - 2021-07-15 Watermelon St., New York", "2021-07-15 - 2023-07-18 Pineapple St., Vancouver") or go in a row? And do I need to provide an address in Canada during periods when I did not live here permanently, but came during my summer break at the university for several months or days?

4) Time Spent Outside Canada table: Do I need to include one-day trips to the US (without spending the night there, leaving in the morning and returning in the evening)?

I understand that there may be a lot of overthinking here, but just want to do everything correct and maybe it will help someone else as the application process is sometimes confusing. Appreciate any help with these questions!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, you do need to provide 2 pieces of `evidence' of residency for the previous 5 year period. If you have a driver license, get a print out of your residential history, since we always have to update our address on our DL...or at least are supposed to.
You do not have to provide documents for the entire 5 year window! Actually, you really only need the previous 730 days worth, plus a bit more as a buffer. So...what can you gather/create for the last 2 years? Then, what more can you add beyond that, if anything?

1. Without 2 pieces of evidence, it could impact your application.

2. Never leave an answer blank. Use "NA"

3. Yes. Use whatever your true residential address was during the previous 5 year period. If you were NOT living in Canada, but rather 'visiting' during a summer break, list that in the Travel History, not the Residential History section.

4. Yes. Each and every trip from/to Canada needs to be shown...even those pesky day trips to buy gas and return! LOL!
It's no secret that many believe that they do NOT have to provide detailed Travel/Absences from Canada, because CBSA has the data that IRCC can request. While that may be true, to a point, the PR still has to populate those sections of IMM 5444 before submitting the application. IRCC can cross check that information with CBSA, but you need to provide the details in the application, first.

Now...breathe! ;)

Reactions: AnnetteS and YVR123

AnnetteS

Jul 12, 2023
Thanks a lot for the detailed answer! You are a huge help :)

Actually, you really only need the previous 730 days worth, plus a bit more as a buffer.
I picked up a few documents, not sure how "strong" the evidence is. Wouldn't it be too much if I upload 3 documents? I'm unfortunate to be the one with no work history or driver's license who is applying after the recent changes in supporting document requirements :D.

2. Never leave an answer blank. Use "NA"
The reason I ask is that in different video tutorials how to complete an online form, they usually are left blank (maybe because it says: "If applicable"), however, when filling out an application in PDF format, if I'm not mistaken, according to the guide, even these sections must be filled in with "NA", so I'm a bit confused.

3. Yes. Use whatever your true residential address was during the previous 5 year period.
I studied and lived permanently in another country and before graduation I came to Canada twice to my parents for short periods (2 months; 10 days - how wonderful that the pandemic is over), so I'm not entirely sure in the Address History (Inside and Outside Canada) table Is it correct to list only the addresses of permanent residence or to include here the address of the parents in Canada, where I lived during the trips? In the first option, these are two sections ("Dorm" - "Home in Canada"), in the second - several, with repeated addresses ("Dorm"-"Home in Canada"-"Same dorm"-"Another home in Canada"-" Again the same old dorm"-"Home").

If you were NOT living in Canada, but rather 'visiting' during a summer break, list that in the Travel History, not the Residential History section.
Do I understand correctly that you mean that I include visit days as those that I was in Canada (in the Time Spent Outside Canada table), but in the Work and Educational History table, these days are included in the period of study abroad? Just not sure what Travel History list is..

4. Yes. Each and every trip from/to Canada needs to be shown...even those pesky day trips to buy gas and return! LOL!
Oh yes, this is kind of a weird pitfall. What format should these trips be in? When I enter the same date of departure and return, the From” cannot occur after “To” note appears, this does not count as a day of absence and I cannot save changes in the table with this line.

Now...breathe! ;)
Slowly counting to five and journaling :D