+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal 2021 - Can I renew earlier than 9 months in advance?

jueves

Oct 19, 2020
Hi Guys,
I really need your help - My PR Card will expire in Sept 2022 , the recommended earliest time I can renew is 9 months ahead so by Dec 2021
I'm planning to travel outside Canada by July 2021 , I may be leaving for more than a year and don't want to have an expired PR card when returning - can I renew my PR card 1 year and 2 months before it expires? - thank you very much for helping me out

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Hi Guys,
I really need your help - My PR Card will expire in Sept 2022 , the recommended earliest time I can renew is 9 months ahead so by Dec 2021
I'm planning to travel outside Canada by July 2021 , I may be leaving for more than a year and don't want to have an expired PR card when returning - can I renew my PR card 1 year and 2 months before it expires? - thank you very much for helping me out
Unfortunately, also you may get lucky and they process your application, it is more likely that they just don't process it and tell you to wait until you are within the 9 months. It is not the recommended time, it is the criteria for them to process the application:

"You should only apply for a PR card if:

• your card has expired or will expire in less than 9 months
Otherwise, we may not process your application."

If you stay for an extended period, you can just get a PRTD when you get close to the time you want to travel back to Canada.

Reactions: jueves

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Guys,
Based on experiences here, your application won't be processed and will be refused / returned with the direction to apply again once you meet the 9 month requirement.

Reactions: jueves

jueves

Oct 19, 2020
Unfortunately, also you may get lucky and they process your application, it is more likely that they just don't process it and tell you to wait until you are within the 9 months. It is not the recommended time, it is the criteria for them to process the application:

"You should only apply for a PR card if:

• your card has expired or will expire in less than 9 months
Otherwise, we may not process your application."

If you stay for an extended period, you can just get a PRTD when you get close to the time you want to travel back to Canada.
Thank you for the reply, this is useful

jueves

Oct 19, 2020
Based on experiences here, your application won't be processed and will be refused / returned with the direction to apply again once you meet the 9 month requirement.
right.. I was afraid of that - it makes sense I guess otherwise ppl would be renewing it much earlier at will - thank you for taking time to reply, helps :)