+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card expires on March 2016 but Eligible to apply for Citizenship on May 2016

suwail

Star Member
Mar 12, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

Can you please advise if I still need to renew my PR Card which will expire on March 2016 before submitting my citizenship application on May 2016? Or I can just apply for the citizenship, I don't have any plans to travel outside Canada until I get my citizenship.

Looking forward for your advise.

Thank you.

Lux et Veritas

Star Member
Apr 25, 2015
suwail said:
Hi everyone,

Can you please advise if I still need to renew my PR Card which will expire on March 2016 before submitting my citizenship application on May 2016? Or I can just apply for the citizenship, I don't have any plans to travel outside Canada until I get my citizenship.

Thank you.
I suggest you do renew it. In fact ideally you should renew 6 months before expiry but either way renew now as it would make your life easier when you apply for citizenship.

aloksh25

Star Member
Jan 10, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
YOU dont need to renew the PR card if you will be staying in Canada and dont intend to Visit abroad expect USA , if you do then you should other wise PR card is only used as ID when you do international Travel , otherwise its wastage of time money and effort and it will take like 6 month to get PR card then in 6 to 12 month you will get citizenship

hope it helps

suwail

Star Member
Mar 12, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aloksh25 said:
YOU dont need to renew the PR card if you will be staying in Canada and dont intend to Visit abroad expect USA , if you do then you should other wise PR card is only used as ID when you do international Travel , otherwise its wastage of time money and effort and it will take like 6 month to get PR card then in 6 to 12 month you will get citizenship

hope it helps
Thank you for the reply. But I still want to know if can I submit my Citizenship application even when my PR card is expired?

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
suwail said:
Thank you for the reply. But I still want to know if can I submit my Citizenship application even when my PR card is expired?
Hi

Yes you can apply if your PR card is expired.

jess901

Dec 1, 2015
I suggest you renew it because the citizenship application is entirely dependent on how long it takes for them to process your application. If you are up for citizenship in May 2016, I suggest you add a couple of weeks to that to make sure that they have no problems with your requirement of days. That way, if you have to leave Canada for any reason, you can do so between now and when you get your citizenship.

terki

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2012
FLORIDA - MIAMI
LANDED..........
DUAL-CITIZEN - USA/CANADA
Your PR status can not be in question when applying for citizenship

However, be advised that processing citizenship can a year or more,

aloksh25

Star Member
Jan 10, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
suwail said:
YEs you can apply for citizenship with expired card , like i told you card is just your entry to Canada, so down worry

nope

Oct 3, 2015
suwail said:
Hi everyone,

Thank you.
I completely forgot about my PR card expiring -- when I showed up for my citizenship test, the officer looked at it and goes "Oh, it expires today!" We both laughed. If you're not going to travel for 10 months or at all, don't worry about it. If an emergency comes up, travel with your native passport, carry evidence you've been living in Canada, and apply for a document at the embassy to return.

suwail

Star Member
Mar 12, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aloksh25 said:
YEs you can apply for citizenship with expired card , like i told you card is just your entry to Canada, so down worry

Thank you guys, i have no plans to travel outside canada in the next 2 years so I wont be renewing my PR card anymore.