+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card during undergraduate study? Scenario possible?

lisrhea

Apr 5, 2018
I have applied to universities in Canada for the Fall 2018 undergraduate term. My inquiry is whether I will be able to apply for a PR status DURING my undergraduate study.
After I have applied for a PR status, will I get college tuition benefits like reduced tuition fees and government benefits since citizens of Canada are eligible for that? I am international student btw..

so my plan is:

international student accepted to canadian undergrad unis ----> apply for PR after 2 years of undergrad study-----> gain reduced tuition and government tuition benefits through PR status for remaining 2 years of undergrad study

can it work like that ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you looked at whether you qualify for one of the express entry programs? ˆt seems unlikely that you would qualify if you are coming to Canada todo an undergraduate program and I am assuming you haven't worked Canada before.

Yes PRs qualify for domestic tuition. The PR process usually takes at a minimum 6 months. Don't think your plan works though.

lisrhea

Apr 5, 2018
Have you looked at whether you qualify for one of the express entry programs? ˆt seems unlikely that you would qualify if you are coming to Canada todo an undergraduate program and I am assuming you haven't worked Canada before.

Yes PRs qualify for domestic tuition. The PR process usually takes at a minimum 6 months. Don't think your plan works though.
i dont think i really quality for any of the express entry programs. I am 19 years old and I have never worked before. I am graduating high school this year.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i dont think i really quality for any of the express entry programs. I am 19 years old and I have never worked before. I am graduating high school this year.
In that case it won't be possible for you to get PR during your undergraduate studies. You must have at least one year of full time experience to qualify for PR. Additionally, most of Canada's immigration programs are points based and you will have a lot of difficulty qualifying and/or being selected without a completed undergraduate degree. You'll have to wait until you've completed your studies and worked for at least a year before you'll be able to apply.