+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card and passport in different names

Cheryllove

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
Port Alice, British Columbia
Category........
FAM
I’m flying back into Canada after being in the states for a family emergency. I had to update my passport to my married name but my PR card is still in my previous name. Do I fly in on my passport name (obviously) and use my PR card in previous name to enter Canada? I also have my marriage certificate and a BC drivers license and Social insurance card in my married name even tho my PR card has old name.
So…. Question is what should I present as my identity when I get to customs and immigration? My PR card or passport or both along with marriage certificate?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You must show PR card. Show that with your other stuff and marriage certificate, they should be able to figure it out. Photocopy of old passport wouldn't hurt either.

Note: check with airline. If a US citizen, you won't have an issue boarding on basis of US passport (and don't really need to check with airline). If not, they'll need to be convinced you-are-you on the PR card. Which again, I shouldn't think will be a problem.

Reactions: Cheryllove

Cheryllove

Star Member
Oct 22, 2017
Port Alice, British Columbia
Category........
FAM
Thanks! I happen to have my old passport which matches my PR card and embedded personal information identical to new passport. I am US citizen so know I can enter with passport just didn’t know if I was required to show PR card. I’m entering at Toronto Pearson and was planning to use kiosk and wasn’t sure which to scan my PR card or my passport. I have lots of documentation of who I am and was going to update PR card but Covid hit then my mom passed away…..

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sorry for your loss.

You should always enter Canada (at border or at passport control) as a PR (using that PR card or however), and USA as a citizen.

Sounds like you should be okay though.

Reactions: Cheryllove

Renadxb

Jun 24, 2018
Hi ,just received my pr card .My family name is written first and then my first name .Is that normal or should I get it changed .Thanks