+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card after reentering Canada with PRTD after living overseas (meet residency obligations)

rodiy2k

Jan 6, 2019
Hello

I have PR status and was sponsored under family class in 2001. My Canadian citizen wife and I left Canada to live in the USA in 2007 and then lived in overseas in Asia after retiring from our jobs in 2015. My last PR card expired in 2008 after we left Canada and I let it lapse. We returned to Calgary from Thailand on 10/3/2020 for the purposes of reestablishing residency in Canada. Prior to entering Canada and due to Covid requirements for permanent residents, I applied for and received a multiple entry PRTD at the Bangkok Canadain embassy in June 2020. I sent about 30 pages of backup with my application proving that I met my residency obligation by virtue of traveling with my Canadian citizen spouse for the last five consecutive years.

Upon completion of quarantine in Calgary, I immediately sent an application for a new PR card by Express Post courier with the same paperwork as the PRTD plus the required pictures and proof of fee payment. The package was delivered on October 22nd according to the tracking number. I have yet to get an email acknowledgement of my application and if I try to search it using the Government of Canada account, it remains "not found". I also called the information number to inquire and they said they have no idea how long it will take to log in the application and offered no timeline or advice. I am very concerned because everything I read said that I should immediately apply for a new PR card as soon as possible once returning to Canada. The website claims they are unable to update any time frames for any type of application due to Covid despite being eight months into a pandemic that's not going away any time soon.

Does anyone have any a similar situation or any advice on how long I should wait before it seems reasonable that they lost the application? What am I supposed to do ?

I have successfully opened a Canadian bank account and was issued an Alberta driver's license. The registry folks accepted my original record of landing as evidence of my PR status but would NOT accept the PTRD even though the border agent in Vancouver told me it's the same exact thing as the PRTD in my passport because it's issued by the Government of Canada. I also signed a lease and was issued a Canadian credit card so I assume my credit standing is still in tact but I'm very uncomfortable holding an American passport and not having a current PR card. Thanks for any responses.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello

I have PR status and was sponsored under family class in 2001. My Canadian citizen wife and I left Canada to live in the USA in 2007 and then lived in overseas in Asia after retiring from our jobs in 2015. My last PR card expired in 2008 after we left Canada and I let it lapse. We returned to Calgary from Thailand on 10/3/2020 for the purposes of reestablishing residency in Canada. Prior to entering Canada and due to Covid requirements for permanent residents, I applied for and received a multiple entry PRTD at the Bangkok Canadain embassy in June 2020. I sent about 30 pages of backup with my application proving that I met my residency obligation by virtue of traveling with my Canadian citizen spouse for the last five consecutive years.

Upon completion of quarantine in Calgary, I immediately sent an application for a new PR card by Express Post courier with the same paperwork as the PRTD plus the required pictures and proof of fee payment. The package was delivered on October 22nd according to the tracking number. I have yet to get an email acknowledgement of my application and if I try to search it using the Government of Canada account, it remains "not found". I also called the information number to inquire and they said they have no idea how long it will take to log in the application and offered no timeline or advice. I am very concerned because everything I read said that I should immediately apply for a new PR card as soon as possible once returning to Canada. The website claims they are unable to update any time frames for any type of application due to Covid despite being eight months into a pandemic that's not going away any time soon.

Does anyone have any a similar situation or any advice on how long I should wait before it seems reasonable that they lost the application? What am I supposed to do ?

I have successfully opened a Canadian bank account and was issued an Alberta driver's license. The registry folks accepted my original record of landing as evidence of my PR status but would NOT accept the PTRD even though the border agent in Vancouver told me it's the same exact thing as the PRTD in my passport because it's issued by the Government of Canada. I also signed a lease and was issued a Canadian credit card so I assume my credit standing is still in tact but I'm very uncomfortable holding an American passport and not having a current PR card. Thanks for any responses.
This sounds normal. I believe it's taking around two months right now for IRCC to acknowledge applications have been received.