+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR after arriving on Travel Document

bens

Jul 18, 2011
Gentlemen & Ladies,

This Forum has been a valuable resource in many of my decision makings. Thank you all for sharing. I have some questions...

If a minor arrives back to Canada on Travel Document,
- When can he/she apply for new PR? Right away (which I think should be the case) or after fulfilling some residency obligations?
- Is the PR application processing time same 3-6 months like any other application?
- Is it possible to apply for urgent PR if a travel is necessary?
- If the passport (of home country) needs to be renewed in 2 months after arrival, does it need to be renewed before applying for PR?

A side question not related to PR renewal is,
- If the "permanent resident travel document" is expiring on 14 April 2012 and the passport is expiring on 15 May 2012, is it ok to travel back in last week of March 2012? Or should it be 6 months before the passport expiry?

Thanks a lot..

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please specify what do you mean by "travel document". What is your status in Canada? visitor, refugee, work permit, student???

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the person got a travel document in spite of not meeting the residency requirements, one would assume that they had an acceptable reason for why they couldn't meet them and that they could apply for a new PR card right away on the same grounds.

A PR card application takes 154 days right now, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp for updated info so that is about 5 months.

It is possible to apply for expedited processing of the PR card, see the link above, but if somebody doesn't meet the residency requirements and they get a PR travel document stating they are now ready to settle in Canada and the next thing they do is show up in Canada and ask for expedited processing because they need to leave, that may not look too good for them.

I do not think that the passport needs to be renewed before applying for the PR card necessarily and it is ok to enter Canada with a passport validity less than 6 months if you are a PR but keep in mind that immigration may want to see the old passport so if you think that your embassy will keep it when they give you a new one, make sure you copy all the pages from it first.

bens

Jul 18, 2011
Thanks Leon for the answer,

She is a landed immigrant with PR status. Kid does not meet the residency obligation of 2 years in last 5 year. The TD is on humanitarian grounds. So, I'm not sure if she can apply immediately for PR renewal. That also begs a question, if she applies right away (not for urgent though) and she is in breach of RO, what does CIC do? Cancel her PR status & deport or just reject the application asking to wait 730 days?

Also, I can wait for 730 days but want to know if there is a way she can travel at least to USA by road in our own vehicle & enter Canada?

Thanks,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the travel document was granted on humane and compassionate grounds, the PR renewal will most likely be granted as well on the same grounds.

I have heard of people who have applied without meeting the residency requirements who have been called for an interview and offered to withdraw their application. It is also possible to stay in Canada with an expired PR card and apply for renewal again after the 730 days have been reached.