+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postdoc work permit: country to apply from

May 11, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm an Indian citizen currently employed in Singapore. I have received a Postdoc offer in Canada with LMIA exempted and falling within the category of faster processing of two weeks. I will be soon quitting my job in Singapore and move back to India. With this in context,

I need assistance for the two following questions:

1. Where are you applying from? Although I am currently in Singapore can I choose to apply from India (home country). The reason being, I will be moving back in a month, in case the procedure is not completed in this time frame, there might be some issues. I would like to point out that there is a separate question for country of current residence, there I will be entering Singapore only so I am not falsifying the information. My question is just if I can choose to apply from India when I am not in the country.

2. If not, and I choose to apply from Singapore, suppose I had to leave Singapore before work permit is approved, will there be any issues? In case of interview call, is it possible to give it in India although I applied from Singapore (as there would not be any valid way to enter Singapore for me at that point). In short, is it possible to apply from one country and give interview in another?

Just to add, the university has already paid the compliance fee and I have received the corresponding number, if that is relevant.

Thanks, appreciate the help.

Last edited:

AghA13

Star Member
Sep 20, 2023
Hello everyone,

I'm an Indian citizen currently employed in Singapore. I have received a Postdoc offer in Canada with LMIA exempted and falling within the category of faster processing of two weeks. I will be soon quitting my job in Singapore and move back to India. With this in context,

I need assistance for the two following questions:

1. Where are you applying from? Although I am currently in Singapore can I choose to apply from India (home country). The reason being, I will be moving back in a month, in case the procedure is not completed in this time frame, there might be some issues. I would like to point out that there is a separate question for country of current residence, there I will be entering Singapore only so I am not falsifying the information. My question is just if I can choose to apply from India when I am not in the country.

2. If not, and I choose to apply from Singapore, suppose I had to leave Singapore before work permit is approved, will there be any issues? In case of interview call, is it possible to give it in India although I applied from Singapore (as there would not be any valid way to enter Singapore for me at that point). In short, is it possible to apply from one country and give interview in another?

Just to add, the university has already paid the compliance fee and I have received the corresponding number, if that is relevant.

Thanks, appreciate the help.
Hello! You always have the option to choose your home country, regardless of your current location. Also, although the stated processing time for a postdoc application is two weeks, it typically takes longer.

May 11, 2024
@AghA13 Hello! So just to confirm, I can be physically be in Singapore and choose to apply from India. Is that correct? In that case, can I give my biometrics in Singapore and interview in India?

Last edited:

AghA13

Star Member
Sep 20, 2023
@AghA13 Hello! So just to confirm, I can be physically be in Singapore and choose to apply from India. Is that correct? In that case, can I give my biometrics in Singapore and interview in India?
Yes, you won't have an interview. For biometrics, you can visit the nearest VFS center, wherever you are currently located or you would like to go.