+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Doubt

RSoltero

May 26, 2012
Hi guys,

I just finished my 2 year program in Canada and I was thinking of applying for a PGWP and also apply for an extension of my study visa in order to enroll into a 1 year program. I was informed by someone at school (who seemed rather brief and sketchy in his responses) that this was not possible because by applying to the PGWP I would be basically saying I want to work and not study, but that I could enroll into the new program and then apply next year and that I would be granted the 3 years visa anyways.

I am now a little worried and doubtful of enrolling into the 1 year program since I gave the cicg webpage for the PGWP and it never mentions the ability to accumulate the length of more than one program to account for the visa's length, seems to me that if I end up enrolling and trying to apply for the PGWP next year then I may be issued a 1 year visa only since I will technically be finishing a 1 year program, the 2 year program will be ignored since it is not the latest study program I finished and that the person at school just suggested I enroll in order not to cause the school to lose that tuition money ($14 k). I am more interested in achieving the necessary requirements in order to obtain PR in the future than studying anymore.

Any insight for this issue? Thanks in advance to all of you!

Neez

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Firstly, it is possible to accumulate two degrees to get a 3 years PGWP as long as the second degree is done within two years of the first degree completion.

Secondly, if your ultimate goal is PR and not studying anymore as you said, why do another program while you just finished a 2 year program which will allow you to get the 3 PGWP you want?

propain

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pgwp will be issued only once.

actually u have a 2 year program which anyways qualifies for a 3 years pgwp, why would u want to pay intl fees and study another year and get a max 3 years work permit again. that doesnt make sense.

its better to apply for pgwp now and proceed with your pr formalities.

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....
14-04-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
AIP&DM: 30-01-2014
LANDED..........
25-02-2014
RSoltero said:
Hi guys,

I just finished my 2 year program in Canada and I was thinking of applying for a PGWP and also apply for an extension of my study visa in order to enroll into a 1 year program. I was informed by someone at school (who seemed rather brief and sketchy in his responses) that this was not possible because by applying to the PGWP I would be basically saying I want to work and not study, but that I could enroll into the new program and then apply next year and that I would be granted the 3 years visa anyways.

I am now a little worried and doubtful of enrolling into the 1 year program since I gave the cicg webpage for the PGWP and it never mentions the ability to accumulate the length of more than one program to account for the visa's length, seems to me that if I end up enrolling and trying to apply for the PGWP next year then I may be issued a 1 year visa only since I will technically be finishing a 1 year program, the 2 year program will be ignored since it is not the latest study program I finished and that the person at school just suggested I enroll in order not to cause the school to lose that tuition money ($14 k). I am more interested in achieving the necessary requirements in order to obtain PR in the future than studying anymore.

Any insight for this issue? Thanks in advance to all of you!
Since, you have already finished a 2 year program you will be eligible for a 3 year PGWP anyways. Also, you are allowed to accumulate two 1 year programs together as long as they fall under specific criteria. See link below(example 2):
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob194.asp