+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible PR options for a Tech freelancer in Canada on an open work permit

ykarkera

Aug 6, 2022
Hi,

Currently in Delta, BC. My wife is on PGWP, and I am on SOWP. We have a newborn who is Canadian.

My wife currently works for a Canadian employer, and even after 1 year of work experience, she can get a maximum of 480 CRS points. She is doing an admin job and does not look like she will get an invitation via BC PNP.

I work remotely for my employer, who is based in Singapore. So basically, here in Canada, I would fall under the category of freelancer/self-employed. I can incorporate myself if needed.

Though I have over 15 years of experience outside Canada in TECH and earn decent enough to consider continuing freelance work, the dilemma I am currently in is that I don't see any possible pathway to getting my PR, either through my wife's profile or mine. Or maybe I don't know of any, even if they exist. The only hope is to wait for the CEC or CRS cutoff to go down, which seems unlikely.

So my question is, How can tech freelancers working in Canada on a valid work permit work towards getting a PR?

I calculated my points for BC PNP considering my current salary and assuming I am employed by a Canadian company. Having Tech experience, i can easily get an invitation, however, it has to be a Canadian company with whom i am supposed to have an employee-employer relationship.

Any advice?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Currently in Delta, BC. My wife is on PGWP, and I am on SOWP. We have a newborn who is Canadian.

My wife currently works for a Canadian employer, and even after 1 year of work experience, she can get a maximum of 480 CRS points. She is doing an admin job and does not look like she will get an invitation via BC PNP.

I work remotely for my employer, who is based in Singapore. So basically, here in Canada, I would fall under the category of freelancer/self-employed. I can incorporate myself if needed.

Though I have over 15 years of experience outside Canada in TECH and earn decent enough to consider continuing freelance work, the dilemma I am currently in is that I don't see any possible pathway to getting my PR, either through my wife's profile or mine. Or maybe I don't know of any, even if they exist. The only hope is to wait for the CEC or CRS cutoff to go down, which seems unlikely.

So my question is, How can tech freelancers working in Canada on a valid work permit work towards getting a PR?

I calculated my points for BC PNP considering my current salary and assuming I am employed by a Canadian company. Having Tech experience, i can easily get an invitation, however, it has to be a Canadian company with whom i am supposed to have an employee-employer relationship.

Any advice?
Express Entry / FSW would be the obviously option with you as the primary candidate. You can't claim any Canadian work experience for extra points. However you can certainly claim your freelancing as foreign work experience. Calculate your points to see how well you can complete against others in the pool (none of us will be able to tell you that based on the limited info you've provided). Express Entry also has some STEM focused draws happening right now (again, those with most points being selected).

If getting PR is truly a priority, both you and your wife should learn French well enough to be able to take the French language test for additional points. There are also special draws happening now for those with French language skills.