+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police certificate from Mexico -- Necessary in my case?

CruiseControl

Apr 28, 2016
Hello, folks,

I am finally gathering all the necessary documents needed to apply (still waiting for my ITA, which should arrive in the next days), and I have a question that is consuming me. My wife and I are not Mexicans, but she studied there for 1 year a while ago, and I know that it is possible that the CIC will ask for the police certificate from Mexico for her.

While talking to an immigration consultant, he told me that I could safely create my online application and upload a letter saying that she has lived in Mexico for 1 year, and that we would be waiting for CIC's request form in order to obtain her police certificate. However, I don't know if this is accurate enough. I am afraid that by not sending her Mexican police certificate right away the CIC will refuse our application. On the other hand, requesting the police certificate from Mexico seems to take a long time, which we do not have.

So, has anyone gone through a similar situation? I could not find anything on the internet that might help me solve this question.

Thanks in advance!

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CruiseControl said:
Hello, folks,

I am finally gathering all the necessary documents needed to apply (still waiting for my ITA, which should arrive in the next days), and I have a question that is consuming me. My wife and I are not Mexicans, but she studied there for 1 year a while ago, and I know that it is possible that the CIC will ask for the police certificate from Mexico for her.

While talking to an immigration consultant, he told me that I could safely create my online application and upload a letter saying that she has lived in Mexico for 1 year, and that we would be waiting for CIC's request form in order to obtain her police certificate. However, I don't know if this is accurate enough. I am afraid that by not sending her Mexican police certificate right away the CIC will refuse our application. On the other hand, requesting the police certificate from Mexico seems to take a long time, which we do not have.

So, has anyone gone through a similar situation? I could not find anything on the internet that might help me solve this question.

Thanks in advance!
Mexico - Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence? No. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will send you a letter requesting a police certificate after you send your Application for Permanent Residence. You must bring that letter when you apply for a police certificate.

Name of document(s) to get: Constancia de Antecedentes Registrales

Do I need to provide a Police Certificate for Express Entry? - Mexico

Yes, but only after you submit your application. When you apply for permanent residence, you will be asked to upload a police certificate. Instead, you must upload a document that states: “I am applying from a country that requires an official request letter from CIC to get a police certificate.”
CIC will then review your application. If it is otherwise complete, we will send you more information on how to get a police certificate.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/mexico.asp

They will definitely ask her for her PCC because she lived there for more than 6 months but they will ask for it AFTER submitting your application.

Cheers ;)

CruiseControl

Apr 28, 2016
DelPiero07 said:
Mexico - Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence? No. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will send you a letter requesting a police certificate after you send your Application for Permanent Residence. You must bring that letter when you apply for a police certificate.

Name of document(s) to get: Constancia de Antecedentes Registrales

Do I need to provide a Police Certificate for Express Entry? - Mexico

Yes, but only after you submit your application. When you apply for permanent residence, you will be asked to upload a police certificate. Instead, you must upload a document that states: “I am applying from a country that requires an official request letter from CIC to get a police certificate.”
CIC will then review your application. If it is otherwise complete, we will send you more information on how to get a police certificate.

They will definitely ask her for her PCC because she lived there for more than 6 months but they will ask for it AFTER submitting your application.

Cheers ;)
Hola, DelPiero07!

Thank you very much for the answer!

I assume you are a Mexican by the flag you use on your username :). Would you know how long in general it takes to obtain the Mexican police certificate? I know that the waiting time may vary for non-Mexican citizens living outside Mexico, but from what I have heard it can take a long time (60 days?) for the Mexican government to provide the document. Is that correct?

Thanks!

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, it can take a long time if you're outside of Mexico. For some people it has taken more than 2 months.

If you go straight to the PGR (government institution in Mexico) you can get it in less than 10 days but of course you'd have to be in Mexico to do that.

Also, keep in mind you will also need a spanish-english translator once you get the certificate.

Cheers :)

CruiseControl

Apr 28, 2016
DelPiero07 said:
Yes, it can take a long time if you're outside of Mexico. For some people it has taken more than 2 months.

If you go straight to the PGR (government institution in Mexico) you can get it in less than 10 days but of course you'd have to be in Mexico to do that.

Also, keep in mind you will also need a spanish-english translator once you get the certificate.

Hm, understood. Thanks for the information! I hope the police certificate doesn't delay my whole application.

Cheers.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thebestme said:
how about people who lived in mexico for 5 months 20 days....shall i apply for mexico PCC?
No.

Unless "if you visited, worked or lived in a country for two months, left for a few years, then returned for four months, that counts as spending six months there. In this case, you would need a certificate" http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

thebestme

Nov 27, 2016
DelPiero07 said:
No.

Unless "if you visited, worked or lived in a country for two months, left for a few years, then returned for four months, that counts as spending six months there. In this case, you would need a certificate"

Thanks a ton :)