+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pls Help me to Calculate Job Experience

Dineshkc

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
Hello,
I am an MBA graduate from India. Completed MBA(regular) in 2013.
JOBS from 2013-2015
Teaching Assistant: 9 months
Project Assistant: 2 months
Associate Analyst: 13 months
From 2003-2010, I worked as Communicative English Teacher(full time) in a school while i was doing my B.Com(part time, IGNOU). So, that counts 4 years of teaching experience.

My question is that; Can I count all the jobs to add up my experience years? If i do that, it will be more than 5 years of Work experience. If I cannot count the job i did in school, then my experience after my MBA has been changed in different areas as i have mentioned above and with the experience of Associate Analyst alone, I am not eligible in the assessment i did on http://onlineservices-servicesenligne.cic.gc.ca/eapp/expressEntryEligibilityResult.do?caller=FSW

Pls, advise me whether I can go further in the process, or not. I am waiting for your advice for remitting the WES Fees.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help.
DKC.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are 3 ways of looking at work experience for FSWP applicants.

1. For CRS points http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/mi/express-entry.asp

Foreign work experience is work experience that,
(a) is acquired by a foreign national outside Canada in one or more occupations listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix;
(b) consists of full-time work experience, or the full-time equivalent for part-time work experience, with one or more employers; and
(c) is acquired within the 10-year period preceding the day on which points are assigned to the foreign national under section 23 or subsection 24(1).
It doesn't say continuous (in the sense of being uninterrupted) or in the same NOC. So you can claim all your full time work experience (and equivalent part-time work experience) for this. This experience maxes out at 3 years so you are comfortably placed.

2. For FSWP eligibility http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp

You can get points for the number of years you have spent in full-time paid work (at least 30 hours per week, or an equal amount of part-time).
In this case, it has to be in the same NOC. Note that even this doesn't say continuous (in the sense of being uninterrupted). You can choose between your Teaching experience which will count as 4+ years (because it was full time throughout and I'm guessing you can get a work reference letter for the same) which will get you 13 points or Associate Analyst for 1-2 years which will get you 9 points.

3. For EE eligibility http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

Your work experience must be:

at least one year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time, paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships do not count),
in the same NOC skill type (0, A or B) ,
within the last 10 years, and
at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC).
This is where the word 'continuous' appears and this is for basic program eligibility - that you must have acquired AT LEAST 1 full year of continuous (in the sense of being uninterrupted) work experience or equivalent part-time experience in the same NOC within the last 10 years. In your case, the Associate Analyst role fulfills this criteria.

In summary, you should check for eligibility on the FSWP 100 points grid. If you score at least 67/100, you can apply. Then you should check for WES validation of your education. Do it for free here (http://www.wes.org/ca/immigrants/preliminary.asp). If they evaluate your education as equivalent to a Canadian Masters degree then it is worth applying else you'll end up with too few points and not a chance to land a 'regular' ITA.

Hope that clarifies. All the best!

Dineshkc

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
There are 3 ways of looking at work experience for FSWP applicants.

1. For CRS points http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/mi/express-entry.asp
It doesn't say continuous (in the sense of being uninterrupted) or in the same NOC. So you can claim all your full time work experience (and equivalent part-time work experience) for this. This experience maxes out at 3 years so you are comfortably placed.

2. For FSWP eligibility http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp
In this case, it has to be in the same NOC. Note that even this doesn't say continuous (in the sense of being uninterrupted). You can choose between your Teaching experience which will count as 4+ years (because it was full time throughout and I'm guessing you can get a work reference letter for the same) which will get you 13 points or Associate Analyst for 1-2 years which will get you 9 points.

3. For EE eligibility http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp
This is where the word 'continuous' appears and this is for basic program eligibility - that you must have acquired AT LEAST 1 full year of continuous (in the sense of being uninterrupted) work experience or equivalent part-time experience in the same NOC within the last 10 years. In your case, the Associate Analyst role fulfills this criteria.

In summary, you should check for eligibility on the FSWP 100 points grid. If you score at least 67/100, you can apply. Then you should check for WES validation of your education. Do it for free here (http://www.wes.org/ca/immigrants/preliminary.asp). If they evaluate your education as equivalent to a Canadian Masters degree then it is worth applying else you'll end up with too few points and not a chance to land a 'regular' ITA.

Hope that clarifies. All the best!

Thank you very much. This is an exhaustive detail and given me right info.

I would appreciate if you could help me here; Thing is that;
I have already sent my transcripts to WES and it is waiting for my Fees for the further process. and Now, i tried free assessment on the website you have shared in your response. and that says Bcom=Community College Diploma (3 years) and MBA=MBA. That was so helpful. Now i am sure that i can remit the fees.

But the confusion is still lingering.. Whether I get enough points to be eligible as the fields I am experienced in are totally different from the basic experience(Associate Analyst) and that's only for a year. Will they count me NOC 0 (Management Occupations) with a year of experience? Also can i add those 4+ years of experience in order to score more points(doubt coz it's teaching and different field).

Well, let me be more specific: i am single, 7.5(IELTS), B.com, MBA(equivalent), Associate Analyst(13 months experience), Project Assistant(2mths), Teaching Assistant(9mnths) and Teacher(4years), citizonship:Nepal(not relevant i think here), do you think that i am eligible? I have tried a lot to find it myself but not able to confirm it with confidence yet. I would be grateful if you could help with these last two paragraphs' confusion.

Thank you very much.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Under EE, what really matters is your program eligibility and then CRS score. If you're eligible under FSW and your score is higher than the cutoff for a draw, you'll get the ITA. CIC doesn't care what NOC your experience is gained under provided it is in NOC 0/A/B. And like I explained, work experience is looked at differently for those 3 different criteria.

Calculate your program on the 2nd link and CRS score on the 1st link.

Reactions: bhalinder12345

Dineshkc

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
Thank you very much. I least expected you would take trouble to respond to a lengthy and tedious question like this one. I really appreciate it. I am on my way to remit the WES fees.
Thanks.

Dineshkc

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
Can I ask you probably the last question on this topic? Humbly request you to respond.

As you have seen that I have experience as Associate Analyst (Management) only for 13 months which you have said counts only 9 points, whereas teaching experience gives me 13 points. Now that I have done my MBA (after B.Com), I will straightway go for Management Occupations rather than teaching Communicative English. And in this regard, I do not find my teaching experience has any relevance in Management Occupations.

“In the last 10 years, how many years of skilled work experience do you have? It must have been continuous, paid, full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation.” (this is one of the questions in assessment as you know)

Can I give 4-5 years or just 1 year? If I give 1 year, I am not eligible. If I give 4-5 years (adding both teaching (4year) and associate analyst (1year), then I am eligible, But my understanding is; am I not misrepresenting the information about me if I give 4+ experience as I have only 1 year experience in Management field.

Thanks a lot.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For FSW eligibility points on work experience (ranging from 0 to 15) you cannot mix and match experience gained under different NOCs. I think your best chances appear when you take your teaching experience because that is the longest career you've had so far. You will score better on program eligibility and CRS as well.

Do understand that there is no restriction at your end to work in the same occupation in Canada as your priamry NOC. What gains you points in your profile can be completely different from the career path you choose after securing PR.

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Hi Asivad:

I have a similar question as Dinesh above, and I think it answers my concern as well, but I just want to be double sure (since my situation maybe different).

My primary NOC code is 2283. I have CLB 9 across all 4 language parameters. As of now I have included just one work experience which is for NOC 2283 itself, as follows:

Software Tester - 1st Nov 2012 to 30 Nov 2014 (25 Months)

Currently I am getting 25 CRS points for 1-2 Years of experience for above.
Now I also have 2 years of fulltime experience in NOC 1114. However, both NOC 1114 and 2283 are completely unrelated.

Based on your guidance above, can I also add work experience related to NOC 1114 and gain additional 25 CRS points, since that will give me a total of 4 Years work experience?

My only hesitation was that the VO might see that I have got additional CRS points for experience unrelated to my primary NOC code.

Your confirmation would be much appreciated.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vvarma said:
Hi Asivad:

I have a similar question as Dinesh above, and I think it answers my concern as well, but I just want to be double sure (since my situation maybe different).

My primary NOC code is 2283. I have CLB 9 across all 4 language parameters. As of now I have included just one work experience which is for NOC 2283 itself, as follows:

Software Tester - 1st Nov 2012 to 30 Nov 2014 (25 Months)

Currently I am getting 25 CRS points for 1-2 Years of experience for above.
Now I also have 2 years of fulltime experience in NOC 1114. However, both NOC 1114 and 2283 are completely unrelated.

Based on your guidance above, can I also add work experience related to NOC 1114 and gain additional 25 CRS points, since that will give me a total of 4 Years work experience?

My only hesitation was that the VO might see that I have got additional CRS points for experience unrelated to my primary NOC code.

Your confirmation would be much appreciated.
Not a problem at all. You can certainly add that NOC and claim additional points - under EE you are allowed to add experience gained across multiple NOCs.

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Thank you for your response Asivad. Will go ahead with the same. Something is weird with MyCIC. I updated my work experience just now and it still shows the earlier CRS score. Even after logging out and in again, the score did not update. I guess MyCIC takes few hours to update, will keep track.

UPDATE: CRS Score got updated finally :). It took almost 20 hours.

tscannew

Sep 14, 2015
Hi Everyone!
I have a question about "continuous, full-time and paid".
I have 13 months of continuous, full-time and paid work experience in one NOC. Then i went away on a student visa to UK for a year and came back and joined in the SAME NOC, and have scattered work experience (3 months, 5 months, 15 months and 9 months); all is paid and full-time (last 15 months is also self-employed)

Does this all count towards total CUMULATIVE work experience?
Please help!

Rocky_1111

Apr 13, 2024
Hello Guys,
Can someone help me in the following regards?

Currently, working as a purchasing manager in Canada with One year of experience.

I have 3 years of back home experience: One year as an apprentice (full-time, paid, done after study completion, in the procurement field) and the other is Two Years of experience as a Deputy Commercial Manager (Paid, full-time, in the supply chain field).

Now, I am not sure of few things that is as below:

1. What NOC Code should I consider for these back home jobs? (One is paid apprentice and another is commercial manager; None of them is listed in NOC Codes)
  2. Should I be considering the NOC Codes based on the responsibilities?
  3. If NOC Codes are under different TEER Categories, such as apprentice is X and Commercial Manager is Y and Purchasing Manager is Y or Z, should there be any problem?
  4. Should those responsibilities (in the Reference Letter) must match with the Current purchasing manager job which I am doing right now?

Any help in this regards is very much appreciated.

Thanks