+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help: WHV and Outland Sponsorship

baileyc

Nov 20, 2011
Dear all, I hope some expert would give me advise on the sponsorship issue.

I am a Canadian citizen and my girlfriend has the working holiday visa that will last for 1 year. We will get marry in few months, and I am considering which sponsorship (inland or outland) would be better for our case.

Since we will need to have some traditional wedding ceremony in our homeland, my girlfriend would need to leave Canada and prepare the ceremony. Therefore, I think the best option is to apply from outland.

So I have the following questions for the outland application.

1) If the WHV for my girlfriend has few more months to go before expire, can she continue to work in Canada after applying the outland sponsorship?

2) It was well stated in CIC website that the spouse is advised to stay in Canada if we apply the inland sponsorship. What if my girlfriend need to leave Canada to prepare the wedding ceremony? Will it cause her not allow to re-enter Canada and the application will become abandoned?

Thank you~

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
The WHV is her temporary status - she can remain in Canada and continue working for as long as it's valid. The marriage and the outland PR ap will not adversely affect that. In fact, before her WHV expires, she can submit an application to change her status to visitor - based on your marriage and the submission of the outland sponsorship application - and as long as you guys provide proof of your marriage, the PR ap and your ability to provide financial support for her, it will likely be approved and she can continue to remain in Canada with you for as long as that temporary status remains valid. Just be sure the extension ap is received by CIC before her WHV expires, and that you track the delivery so you have proof it was received. That gives her "implied status" to remain in Canada legally until they make a decision.

The outland PR ap has no residency requirement - she can be anywhere in the world and still have her outland ap processed through the embassy that represents her home country. So she could leave Canada and it wouldn't affect processing - however, it also doesn't guarantee she'd be able to come back, and she would lose her temporary status by leaving. If you apply inland, though, there is a residency requirement and if she left Canada and wasn't allowed to come back, the inland ap would be forfeited.

baileyc

Nov 20, 2011
Thank you, RobsLuv.

Your reply give me a big relieve. I will definitely go for the outland sponsorship after our big day. :)