+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please Help- US Wife Canadian Husband

ZanesMama2009

Feb 17, 2010
Ill admit our problem is mostly because of our own poor planning. Here's the situation:
My husband and I met in June of 2008 in California. I am a US born citizen he is Canadian. HE was there under the radar because he doesnt have a passport and he wasnt planning on staying but thats the way it ended up. WE met and dated and decided to get married and because he didnt have proper ID we had to come to canada to get married. We crossed over in January 2009 in niagara falls and when we got the the border the guard there was pretty hostile with us and before we could say why I was coming she told us if we were going to get married here she wouldnt let me in. (This was BEFORE a US Citizen needed a passport so all I had/have is my birth certificate and California drivers license. ) So we said I was coming here to meet his family and such, which I was in a way but also to get married. I was given a temporary status until february. We married Jan 9, 2009 and when my temp ran out we got an extension which they gave me until May 2009. We then(I know we should have researched all this before we even thought about coming here) found out that according to the immigration web site spouses do not have to maintain their status. They will simply be without any status and thus cannot legally work here or vote etc, etc. Because of financial difficulties and temporarily losing my birth certificate we couldnt do the PR application so we let my status run out. In the meantime we had our first child, here in canada. My husband has a past that has unfortunately caught up with him(it ALWAYS does you cant avoid stuff forever) and he is currently in jail and may be there for another 18 months. If he does have to stay there, I will need a job so I need to fix my status. I am sure that because he's in jail, he can no longer sponsor me. I was told that because our son was born here and is a canadian citizen and I am his sole caretaker, canada cant kick me out. I dont want to have to do anything under the table but I do have to support us so I need status. I sent an inquiry about this to an immigration lawyer and I am waiting on his reply. I think I am majorly stuck right now. I dont know if I need to apply for PR now as a spouse(if I even can) or maybe for work( I am a massage therapist), or go back to the US(will they even let me cross without a passport now? even though I came before it was required?) but then what will I have to do about our son? Can I bring him to the US with his dad being in jail? I do have in-laws here now who are willing to help any way they can but Im not sure the best way to go about this. Please save the condemnation, I just want to make this right for our son.

ZanesMama2009

Feb 17, 2010
Please note that if AT ALL possible I need to stay here because I really dont want our son to grow up without being able to visit his dad for the first 2 years of his life.

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will need a passport to enter the U.S. Your son may be a U.S. citizen. If he is, he will need a U.S. passport to enter the U.S.

grettta

Star Member
Feb 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-12-2009
Doc's Request.
12-02-2010
AOR Received.
19-01-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2010
LANDED..........
22-06-2010
according to the immigration web site spouses do not have to maintain their status
I don't think this is necessarily true. You are expected to maintain your status otherwise you could be ordered to leave Canada. If your status is lapsed, you can still apply for PR, but technically you are supposed to make every effort to maintain your status.

I was told that because our son was born here and is a canadian citizen and I am his sole caretaker, canada cant kick me
out
This is not true. Who told you this? There have been a number of cases in the news over the past few years of mothers thinking this is the case and ending up being deported (google "Kim Suk Yeung" for one such case). Your son would be entitled to stay here (with his in-laws) and could sponsor you once he is legally able (when he turns 18), but you have no claim to status through your son before that time.

As another poster said, your son may have US citizenship rights by virtue of your citizenship. I would recommend that you contact the US consulate in Canada closest to wherever you are located. They can help you get a new passport and may be able to advise on whether or not your son qualifies for US citizenship.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your main problem is that your husband is in jail. As a result he CANNOT sponsor you. 18 months is a long time to wait before beginning the application process and in the meantime, yes, you could be deported. Also, depending on what crime your husband was convicted of, it may prevent him from ever being able to sponsor you. What you read about legal status in Canada is partly true. You may apply for PR status through the spousal category, but you do still risk the chance of being deported. Specifically, CIC states that "Although out-of-status spouses and common-law partners may now apply for permanent residence in the Spouse or Common-law Partner Class, persons without legal immigration status in Canada are unable to work or study and may be subject to removal proceedings at any time for failing to have or maintain legal immigration status in Canada." In your case, however, you cannot even apply for PR status through the spousal category with your husband in jail. I would STRONGLY suggest that you contact a qualified immigration lawyer. Your case is too complicated to be fooling around with advice from an online forum. Best of luck to you.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Zanesmama,

Do you qualify to immigrate as a "skilled worker"? I know that physiotherapists are on the list, but not sure about massage therapists. You can find the details for the selection criteria at

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list

grettta

Star Member
Feb 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-12-2009
Doc's Request.
12-02-2010
AOR Received.
19-01-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2010
LANDED..........
22-06-2010
AllisonVSC said:
Zanesmama,

Do you qualify to immigrate as a "skilled worker"? I know that physiotherapists are on the list, but not sure about massage therapists. You can find the details for the selection criteria at

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list
She might be able to do that, but she really needs to get a passport ASAP. She won't be able to apply without one.