+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help - Travel outside of Canada with CoPR?

zomzomzom123

Sep 7, 2020
Hey folks,

I am an inland applicant and I received my CoPR in July. I sent the photo to the Montreal office but it seems like it takes around 4 months right now to receive the first card. I want to travel to the U.S. to visit my family but I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to apply for the PR travel document due to COVID. From what I understand, in normal circumstances, a PR travel document is required in order to come back to Canada without the card. However, I am wondering if IRCC has relaxed it a bit because of COVID and that I am able to return with just the CoPR?

Many thanks!

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hey folks,

I am an inland applicant and I received my CoPR in July. I sent the photo to the Montreal office but it seems like it takes around 4 months right now to receive the first card. I want to travel to the U.S. to visit my family but I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to apply for the PR travel document due to COVID. From what I understand, in normal circumstances, a PR travel document is required in order to come back to Canada without the card. However, I am wondering if IRCC has relaxed it a bit because of COVID and that I am able to return with just the CoPR?

Many thanks!
If you are travelling by plane, it will be the airline who will require the PRTD. I believe you should be able to enter via a land border without a PRTD.

zomzomzom123

Sep 7, 2020
If you are travelling by plane, it will be the airline who will require the PRTD. I believe you should be able to enter via a land border without a PRTD.
Thanks jddd! I will be traveling by plane and will check with the airline. Do you know how the custom will verify my status then? I previously have a work permit but it is expiring in two weeks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks jddd! I will be traveling by plane and will check with the airline. Do you know how the custom will verify my status then? I previously have a work permit but it is expiring in two weeks.
If you are flying, then you will need either your PR card or a valid PR Travel Document to board the plane. You will need to wait until you are outside of Canada to apply for the PR Travel Document.

zomzomzom123

Sep 7, 2020
If you are flying, then you will need either your PR card or a valid PR Travel Document to board the plane. You will need to wait until you are outside of Canada to apply for the PR Travel Document.
Thanks! Ah too bad, I was hoping they will loose it up a little because of COVID

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks! Ah too bad, I was hoping they will loose it up a little because of COVID
Some exceptions are being made however this isn't one of them unfortunately.