+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please advise

JaneWis

May 15, 2024
I am a protected person. My open work permit got expired. I applied for renewal, it's pending. I lost my mother. I need to be a part of traditional rites. I am the first child. I am wonder if it's okay to apply for travel document to travel outside Canada? Not to my home country to different country.
Please can someone assist me with answers?
Thank you

Here4help

Star Member
Dec 4, 2021
Sorry for your loss. I don’t think so there is any problem travelling other countries with RTD.

also when you got RTD it clearly mentioned on that you can’t use to your home country.

Reactions: JaneWis

Mancini

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
Sorry for your loss. You can apply for an RTD on an urgent basis and if you can include any evidence that you need it urgently, sometimes it is issued within 2 weeks.
Try to read about the documents needed for applying for an RTD and apply immediately.

JaneWis

May 15, 2024
Sorry for your loss. You can apply for an RTD on an urgent basis and if you can include any evidence that you need it urgently, sometimes it is issued within 2 weeks.
Try to read about the documents needed for applying for an RTD and apply immediately.

Hi, thank you so much. Will I not have issues coming back to Canada since my work permit renewal is still pending?
Like I am just afraid it won't be a problem for me coming back with pending work permit.

JaneWis

May 15, 2024
Sorry for your loss. I don’t think so there is any problem travelling other countries with RTD.

also when you got RTD it clearly mentioned on that you can’t use to your home country.

Hello, thank you for responding. I appreciate. Another fear I have is; my "open work permit" renewal is still pending. Will I not have issues coming back to Canada?
Also, leaving Canada on RTD while work permit is pending won't affect my PR when I am ready to apply?
Please help if you can. Thank you

Mancini

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
Hi, thank you so much. Will I not have issues coming back to Canada since my work permit renewal is still pending?
Like I am just afraid it won't be a problem for me coming back with pending work permit.
You can apply to renew your work permit before it expires. You can do this online and it is free so long as it has not expired. I think you can apply for the RTD and at the same time apply to renew your work permit. Please read in this forum there is useful resources on how to apply for renewal of the work permit. What I know is that you can apply to renew your work permit before 30 or 60 days of its expiry date (I don't remember you need to check). Once you have applied for renewal, you will be considered as having a valid work permit even after its expiry (again please read or ask about this as I am not sure but I read this somewhere here).
Good luck!

JaneWis

May 15, 2024
You can apply to renew your work permit before it expires. You can do this online and it is free so long as it has not expired. I think you can apply for the RTD and at the same time apply to renew your work permit. Please read in this forum there is useful resources on how to apply for renewal of the work permit.
Thank you. I already applied for my work permit. I was asking if it's safe to travel outside Canada after applying and also if it won't be a problem on my return with RTD.

Mancini

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
Since you have the RTD, I think that you should be able to return to Canada. I don't understand why you feel so worried about it. You are not here because you have a valid open work permit, you are here because you are a person protected by the Canadian government under the Canadian law. I think you can keep a copy of the Notice of Decision with you as a proof that you are a protected person. This is what is important.
As for the work permit, it will take some time until it is renewed and sent to you. However, logically speaking, you should be able to return to Canada if you travel outside using the RTD even after your work permit has expired.

JaneWis

May 15, 2024
Since you have the RTD, I think that you should be able to return to Canada. I don't understand why you feel so worried about it. You are not here because you have a valid open work permit, you are here because you are a person protected by the Canadian government under the Canadian law. I think you can keep a copy of the Notice of Decision with you as a proof that you are a protected person. This is what is important.
As for the work permit, it will take some time until it is renewed and sent to you. However, logically speaking, you should be able to return to Canada if you travel outside using the RTD even after your work permit has expired.

A very big thank you. You have liberated me. I'm sorry for coming back late to say thank you.
I feels like a bright light shining my path. No more fear or worries anymore.
Thank you