+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please advice!! Can I work in Canada with valid USA-L1B visa?

Max_ash

Jun 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5/3/2014
I am an Indian citizen and a software engineer currently working in USA on L1-B visa from July2010(almost 2 years now) and would like to move to Canada for good. I would really appreciate if someone can assist me getting answers to below:

1. Having a valid USA L1-B visa- does it mean I can work for any employer in Canada(or I need some Canadian visa to work in Canada)?
2. I applied online to a job opening in Canada and got a interview call, but need to understand what documents will I need before start to work in Canada(any Canadian VISA/work permit etc). I only have Canadian visitor visa, will that help?
3. Will my USA L1-B visa be of any help in getting me Canadian job offers and permission to work in Canada?
4. Can I apply for a Canadian PR? If yes, how and how long does it take to get a Canadian PR(not to forget, I will be staying in USA while my PR application will get processed)

I would request all the experts over this forum to please advice me on above, as I have to take some strong decisions within 2 days.

PLEASE HELP!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. No - Canada is a different country than the US. You need a Canadian work visa.
2. No - a visitor visa won't help. First your employer needs to obtain an approved LMO (labour market opinion). Once your employer has an approved LMO you can apply for a work permit. Once you have an approved work permit you can start working in Canada.
3. It won't help you get permission to work in Canada. I don't think it will help with job offers either.
4. If you qualify you can apply. See here for the requirements: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp