+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical Presence - How to Calculate?

canadavisa22

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

I'm preparing to apply in a few months and I had a quick question about the physical presence calculator on the CIC website. Let's say that I take a trip to the US and leave on August 26th and return on August 28th. Does IRCC count that as ONE day outside of Canada?

I have been calculating the total length of the trip (3 days), but when I used the calculator on their site it seems like if you spend ANY time in Canada on a particular day then it doesn't count towards being outside the country.

I just want to make sure that is right as it would significantly decrease my total (by about 18 days). Thanks!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
canadavisa22 said:
Hi Everyone,

I'm preparing to apply in a few months and I had a quick question about the physical presence calculator on the CIC website. Let's say that I take a trip to the US and leave on August 26th and return on August 28th. Does IRCC count that as ONE day outside of Canada?

I have been calculating the total length of the trip (3 days), but when I used the calculator on their site it seems like if you spend ANY time in Canada on a particular day then it doesn't count towards being outside the country.

I just want to make sure that is right as it would significantly decrease my total (by about 18 days). Thanks!
Use this to determine the exact details:
https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

canadavisa22

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Use this to determine the exact details:
That's the calculator that I used which gave me the 18-day difference. I just wanted to make sure (I do that to a fault but hey it's immigration) that I'm doing it correctly and that as long as you were in Canada for any length of time during a day that it counts.

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, the day one left Canada and the day returned to Canada is counted as full presence.
So, if you left Canada on a 25th and returned on 26th, your absence is "0". Hope this clarifies.
Just put the date(s) as is in the calculator and you will get the correct figures. You can save it for later use if you still fall short.

canadavisa22

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ajithpl said:
Yes, the day one left Canada and the day returned to Canada is counted as full presence.
So, if you left Canada on a 25th and returned on 26th, your absence is "0". Hope this clarifies.
Just put the date(s) as is in the calculator and you will get the correct figures. You can save it for later use if you still fall short.
As I suspected...thank you very much!

CANADAPATRIOT

Star Member
Feb 28, 2016
canadavisa22 said:
Hi Everyone,

Use residence calculator on CIC website