+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PhD candidates BC PNP International Post-Graduate stream

ahmadkhalifa

Nov 14, 2019
Hi,

I obtained my MSc from McGill University in Montreal Quebec between 2017-2019.

I'm currently enrolled in a PhD at UBC. I have not reached candidacy yet, but I want to get a PR asap.

Am I eligible to apply for the BC nomination under the International Post-Graduate stream? They do mention I need to have reached candidacy, but the application itself only asks for my permits and transcripts. I wonder what everyone's experience under this program is and if they do ask you to prove you've reached candidacy.

Thanks.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
YOU MUST REACH CANDIDACY...... There is no going around that, what you forget is that your transcript can literally tell if you have completed all the courses and passed the comprehensive exam. Why act like the transcript doesn't say nothing?

Your other option is to see if you can get BC PNP with the MSc. That will be difficult because you got it outside of the province. In most PNP programs, if education was done outside the province you would have to have a certain level of employment to then qualify for pnp. In your case you're a full time student with no work permit. You should have planned better for your PR journey after completing the MSc. Now you are stuck in a PhD program for a minimum 2yrs before you can be pnp eligible.

ahmadkhalifa

Nov 14, 2019
In addition to my study permit, I do have a work permit that expires in a year, so what would be my next best option? Should I put my studies on hold and look for a job?!

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
In addition to my study permit, I do have a work permit that expires in a year, so what would be my next best option? Should I put my studies on hold and look for a job?!
Depends upon you, if you think you are going with a topic you are quite well aware of , I don't think it will be an issue to go along with study. Also depends upon the supervisor.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
I won't tell you what to do. Rushing to set aside your studies may put you in a deeper bind. So you already have the PGWP which you are not utilizing to the fullest and can't get another after PhD. Nice..........I told you your options, you can either study (get candidacy) or work, that's it.