+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP refused. Part time for potential last semester

dm1424

Sep 14, 2022
Hey everyone! I finally heard back about my PGWP application which had been refused on grounds that I wasn't a full-time student. To elaborate, I attended a 4 year bachelor's program during which I was full-time for every semester except the second to last. It was meant to be my last semester at first because I only had 2 classes left at that point but then failing 1 of those caused me to return back for another semester which was also part-time. I.E. part-time now for two "last" semesters. I did explain what had happened in a LOE during the initial submission.

My degree spanned over 6 years during which i was full-time for every semester up until the last two.

I did manage to submit a reconsideration along with supporting documentation from my university which explained everything in detail. Then I went through the MPs office who spoke on my behalf. I just heard back that the immigration office had chosen to stick with their decision and since I am also out of status because of the long processing times, I will have to reapply + restore my status. The MPs office also communicated to me that IRCC has advised me to reapply and restore which was pretty standard but it made me frustrated and concerned because there is no other information i can add to a reapplication which will make my case stronger so I will have to go through a lawyer who can represent the facts better.

Another bizarre thing which happened was receiving two different refusal letters one month apart. The first received in July lacked any information or instructions other than the reason of refusal and then a second refusal letter, one month apart that was more articulate and included instructions about restoration and the 90 day period except it also said to ignore the one from July and mentioned very directly that my status expired on the date the second refusal letter was received i.e. a date in august. The date was underlined and it was mentioned underneath that my status expired on that date. I now have 30 days left to reapply if i go by the first refusal letter. The MPs office also included the august date in their correspondence but I am going by the July date for caution.

Does anyone know if I can start working again after reapplying? Experience with Lawyers? its going to be 650 for just the fees. Does anyone have any experience with how much lawyers usually charge for representing you?

Student0913

Dec 12, 2022
Hi,
Hey everyone! I finally heard back about my PGWP application which had been refused on grounds that I wasn't a full-time student. To elaborate, I attended a 4 year bachelor's program during which I was full-time for every semester except the second to last. It was meant to be my last semester at first because I only had 2 classes left at that point but then failing 1 of those caused me to return back for another semester which was also part-time. I.E. part-time now for two "last" semesters. I did explain what had happened in a LOE during the initial submission.

My degree spanned over 6 years during which i was full-time for every semester up until the last two.

I did manage to submit a reconsideration along with supporting documentation from my university which explained everything in detail. Then I went through the MPs office who spoke on my behalf. I just heard back that the immigration office had chosen to stick with their decision and since I am also out of status because of the long processing times, I will have to reapply + restore my status. The MPs office also communicated to me that IRCC has advised me to reapply and restore which was pretty standard but it made me frustrated and concerned because there is no other information i can add to a reapplication which will make my case stronger so I will have to go through a lawyer who can represent the facts better.

Another bizarre thing which happened was receiving two different refusal letters one month apart. The first received in July lacked any information or instructions other than the reason of refusal and then a second refusal letter, one month apart that was more articulate and included instructions about restoration and the 90 day period except it also said to ignore the one from July and mentioned very directly that my status expired on the date the second refusal letter was received i.e. a date in august. The date was underlined and it was mentioned underneath that my status expired on that date. I now have 30 days left to reapply if i go by the first refusal letter. The MPs office also included the august date in their correspondence but I am going by the July date for caution.

Does anyone know if I can start working again after reapplying? Experience with Lawyers? its going to be 650 for just the fees. Does anyone have any experience with how much lawyers usually charge for representing you?
Can you update?
Did you get your approval?
I am in a similar boat and am wondering how soon you received response after the reconsideration.