+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

(PGWP) My Canadian Work Experience is still 0 after 1y

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
So the 7th of last year I was hired full time, 40h/week. Now it's a permanent position and I'm still working in it. 3 questions.

1. Is this considered a job offer, I need all the CRS points can get. Do I need LMIA for this, the site says I don't need if I worked for the company for 1y but then I see different information? I work as a computer programmer. If this is a job offer what kind of letter do I need?

2. Why is my Canadian work experience 0 still, do I need to wait for the end of the day(or tomorrow)? In my accounting, it's been a year, Jan 7, 2019 to Jan 7, 2020.

3. My PGWP is expiring in 2.5 months. What are my chances? Are there any options available to me at this point to ensure I stay in Canada, working or temporary not working to wait for my application. Can my employer sponsor me or something? I'm at a loss what to do.

Thanks!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So the 7th of last year I was hired full time, 40h/work. Now its a permanent position. 3 questions.

1. Is this considered a job offer, I need all the points I can get. Do I need LMIA for this? I work as a computer programmer. If this is a job offer what kind of letter do I need?

2. Why is my Canadian work experience 0 still, do I need to wait for the end of the day(or tomorrow)? In my accounting, it's been a year, Jan 7, 2019 to Jan 7, 2020.

3. My PGWP is expiring in 2.5 months. What are my chances? Is there any options available to me at this point to ensure I stay in Canada, working or temporary not working to wait for my application. Can my employer sponsor me or something .

Thanks!
1. No - this is not considered as a job offer. Your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to be able to claim job offer points.
2. Not sure - I'm sure someone else will comment.
3. Depends how many points you have under Express Entry. How many do you have?

Reactions: s3nr1

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Currently my CRS is 369 without the 1y Canadian work experience. In addition, I took another IELTS test. Both, I'm hopefull will get me to 460-480.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Currently my CRS is 369 without the 1y Canadian work experience. In addition, I took another IELTS test. Both, I'm hopefull will get me to 460-480.
It's hard to say if ITAs will drop down to the 460s in the next few months. If you can get closer to 480 - that would be good.

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
so need to make things clear,
1. Is the 'draw' periodical, as in x thousands 'tickets' are drawn every month, at once. OR is something actively monitoring and if there's a profile meeting criteria it will get pulled for consideration.

2. if it's the former, is it monthly?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Is the 'draw' periodical, as in x thousands 'tickets' are drawn every month, at once. OR is something actively monitoring and if there's a profile meeting criteria it will get pulled for consideration.

Thanks
1. It's periodic with no fixed schedule. Sometimes there is one draw a month - sometimes more.
2. See above.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Typically the system would (falsely) count it as one year the month prior to your anniversary, as you only enter mm/yyyy instead of dd/mm/yyyy. So it is likely there´s an error somewhere in information you entered.

There are 3 questions at the end of an entry for Canadian work experience, one asks if you were a student while working, another asks if you worked without authorization, can´t remember the 3rd. If you answer those incorrectly, your work experience will be considered invalid.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

All the info about the draws is publicly available on the IRCC website,
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/submit-profile/rounds-invitations.html

It is usually 2x per month, but not always.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
3. My PGWP is expiring in 2.5 months. What are my chances? Are there any options available to me at this point to ensure I stay in Canada, working or temporary not working to wait for my application. Can my employer sponsor me or something? I'm at a loss what to do.
Apart from the info already provided by Scylla....

1) LMIA - There is no employer "sponsorship" per se, but there are things your employer can do to assist you. One is to apply for an LMIA. This is not always easy to get, but if it is approved, it would do 2 things - make you eligible for a new work permit, and allow you to claim points for a valid job offer on your PR application. Many employers don´t like to do this, however, because it is costly and a bit of effort, and they have to prove that they tried to hire a Canadian for the job but were unsuccessful.

2) PNP - Depending what province you are in, your employer may be able to help you get a PNP nomination. Please note that there are 2 different kinds of PNPs - "traditional" paper-based applications completely unrelated to Express Entry (an alternative to EE), and PNP nominations under EE (you get lots of points and then apply through EE). Every province is different, so you will have to do your homework
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/provincial-nominees/works.html

3) You *might* be eligible for an IEC permit. Eligibility is based in your country of citizenship.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp

4) If you manage to get an ITA AND submit a complete application before your current permit expires, you would be eligible to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP). Given your current CRS score, that is not likely, but worth knowing about. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Typically the system would (falsely) count it as one year the month prior to your anniversary, as you only enter mm/yyyy instead of dd/mm/yyyy. So it is likely there´s an error somewhere in information you entered.

There are 3 questions at the end of an entry for Canadian work experience, one asks if you were a student while working, another asks if you worked without authorization, can´t remember the 3rd. If you answer those incorrectly, your work experience will be considered invalid.
I did put my coop terms in there, I thought it would look good or something. Should I take them out? My 1y work experience is on PGWP, seperate from coop. I put Start as Jan 7, 2019 and check it is my current job.

Here's a picture of the last section in work history:

But yea...the dates are month/year no days, that means it will see my 1y experience on the 2nd month. That sucks...

(Q)How many times can I update my EE profile? I just submitted with a new IELTS score, not as good as I hoped but it's an increase. I also changed my primary occupation to the one I'm in right now. This is fine right? My previous work experience has been rendered useless because most of it was over 10y ago.

Thanks!

Last edited:

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
2) PNP - Depending what province you are in, your employer may be able to help you get a PNP nomination. Please note that there are 2 different kinds of PNPs - "traditional" paper-based applications completely unrelated to Express Entry (an alternative to EE), and PNP nominations under EE (you get lots of points and then apply through EE). Every province is different, so you will have to do your homework
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/provincial-nominees/works.html

4) If you manage to get an ITA AND submit a complete application before your current permit expires, you would be eligible to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP). Given your current CRS score, that is not likely, but worth knowing about. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html
Thanks so far I think the only course that's clear to me is PNP.

I will read up on it, I live in ON and it's pretty crowded, I have no problems in moving, but given the time frame I wonder if this is feasible to do.

As for ⁴), If I can only get my Canadian Work Experience points I will at least get a little above the previous minimum on Dec 19. I've spent all night trying to figure it out knowing that the next draw might be soon, based on draw history, but I just can't get my CWE CRS points, I don't suppose there's a helpline for these things ...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I did put my coop terms in there, I thought it would look good or something. Should I take them out?

Co-op experience should not be included in the profile, it is not eligible "work experience". Later, if you get an ITA, you can include it in your Background history.

My 1y work experience is on PGWP, seperate from coop. I put Start as Jan 7, 2019 and check it is my current job.

Here's a picture of the last section in work history:

There´s the problem, you are saying you were studying full-time at the same time as doing the job... which means you were on a study permit, so the work experience is not eligible. If you were not studying from Jan 7 2019 - now, you should answer NO to the 2nd question...

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Hmmmmmmm . I had a bunch of coop jobs in there, I guess I just didn't notice. When I saw your message I thought, I can't be that...careless can I? It turns out I am.

Well it's still updating but I'm hopeful. Thanks!