+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pgwp holder to getting married

rehank

Star Member
Jan 18, 2016
Hello guys, Please a very urgent and important question if any of you guys can help me on this!!!

I m here on study permit and I I came on Jan 2018.
I took summer 2018 off and winter 2019 semester off ( because I got married in April, last month).
Now I dont want to study right now and continue my studies after I become PR to save money on fees.

Can you suggest what can be done.

My study permit expires on November 30 2019 ( in 6 months) And my wife is applying for my Spousal PR application and I heard I can apply for an OPW as well. If I apply how long will I get the OPW for ?

And Iknow PR applications take time. Shall I extend my study permit so I have an status and they will extend me another year since I have two more semesters left. and then apply for OPW . OPW takes about 4-5 months right ?

What are the ways or suggestions I can take and should do at this point please advise. @canuck_in_uk @scylla , all the expert members please anyone can help me! Thanks!

:)

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Your study permit may have already expired if you've stopped taking classes. Your educational institution is supposed to report you when you do not attend classes and IRCC revokes the study permit and you are not on an approved leave. Your status in Canada would then end when your status as a student ends. You'd need a visitor visa or other status in Canada to be eligible for the OWP.

rehank

Star Member
Jan 18, 2016
Your study permit may have already expired if you've stopped taking classes. Your educational institution is supposed to report you when you do not attend classes and IRCC revokes the study permit and you are not on an approved leave. Your status in Canada would then end when your status as a student ends. You'd need a visitor visa or other status in Canada to be eligible for the OWP.
I took summer 2018 as an approved leave and also winter since I changed my program and they have classes so I'm suppose to be joining this semester but I didnt enrol in the classes yet since I want to pause on my studies and apply for spousal PR. So shall I extend my study permit but then if i dont study it will get expired so best option will be apply as a visitor right ? And then give the Spousal PR and open work permit application at the same time. but even visitor status is for 6 months. and PR takes long time during which if i Receive OPW can I stay here ? how long will be the validity of it ?
Thanks for your response

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I took summer 2018 as an approved leave and also winter since I changed my program and they have classes so I'm suppose to be joining this semester but I didnt enrol in the classes yet since I want to pause on my studies and apply for spousal PR. So shall I extend my study permit but then if i dont study it will get expired so best option will be apply as a visitor right ? And then give the Spousal PR and open work permit application at the same time. but even visitor status is for 6 months. and PR takes long time during which if i Receive OPW can I stay here ? how long will be the validity of it ?
Thanks for your response
You haven't been studying for over a year, which means you violated the conditions of your study permit. There is a good chance you've been reported and are now in Canada illegally. If you have worked at all since last April, that was illegal.

As you obviously came here to get married and not study, there is a definite chance you will receive a Procedural Fairness letter for misrepresentation when applying for PR.

rehank

Star Member
Jan 18, 2016
Sorry for the other duplicate post. I have deleted.

No I was studying.

I came in January 2018 and did school in winter semester and took summer break off officialy approved from school and did school fall semester 2018 and again took winter semester off since I was getting married. And now summer semester is starting so Im going to school and ask them to give me an approved leave again.and in the mean time can I apply for OPW and spousal PR so hopefully within 4 months I receive OPW and implied status changes.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
@scylla Can 2 people on TRVs / work permit holders get married in Canada?
Sure no reason why not as even people just on TRVs or visa exampts can get married in Canada if they want to as long as they sort out any prerqusite documentation same as any other to be married couple.

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
Sure no reason why not as even people just on TRVs or visa exampts can get married in Canada if they want to as long as they sort out any prerqusite documentation same as any other to be married couple.
Thank you @Bs65
Appreciate the prompt response.

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
Thank you @Bs65
Appreciate the prompt response.
HI @Bs65
Sorry for duplicate post in a short span of time. A family member of mine has a valid study visa stamping till June 2021 and holds a valid PGWP.
Can the person leave and re-enter on the basis of a valid study visa and PGWP (with an active employment) in Canada. Some people are saying that study visa needs to be converted to worker visa but there is no clarification about this topic at all on IRCC website.

RizaBree

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Thank you. As per your advice, I have been reading about obtaining a visitor visa and came across the term "visitor record". Am i right in thinking that I should be applying for the latter instead of a visitor visa?
Hi Angel, how are you? Are you still active here? Hope you are still :) I am in the same situation now. Been together with a Canadian Citizen for 2 years, we moved in together December 2020 , then we got married February 12 this year. Though my Post Graduate Work Permit will expire on December 2022, I was just wondering:
1. Can I not change my last name on my passport yet? It will definitely take a while if I do since it will be coming from the Philippines and there is Covid delays
2. MY PGWP which was approved December 2019 is also of course under my maiden name
3. Is it okay that if we submit an application that I use my husband's last name since I am about to update my marital status and last name on my BCID, CRA and SIN?
Thank you for your response :) I hope the others can also shed light on my situation.