+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP extension due to passport expiry date “no note”

Camil7243

Mar 25, 2020
Hi all, I would really appreciate whoever can share a similar experience than mine... I am elegible for 3 years PGWP but my permit was issued only for 1 year until 20 days before my passport expires, I am assuming it was because of the passport expiration date, however it doesn’t have any note clarifying this... has anyone applies for PGWP extension under similar situation? How did it go?
Thank you all so much

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all, I would really appreciate whoever can share a similar experience than mine... I am elegible for 3 years PGWP but my permit was issued only for 1 year until 20 days before my passport expires, I am assuming it was because of the passport expiration date, however it doesn’t have any note clarifying this... has anyone applies for PGWP extension under similar situation? How did it go?
Thank you all so much
If there is no remark on your permit and the permit was issued for one year and not to your passport expiry, it would seem that IRCC decided you only qualified for a one year PGWP.

Camil7243

Mar 25, 2020
If there is no remark on your permit and the permit was issued for one year and not to your passport expiry, it would seem that IRCC decided you only qualified for a one year PGWP.
Well That’s my concern, however I have read a couple of comments in this forum related to similar situation but none of them provided their final result once applied for extension.... is the PGWP issued in a moth basis? Or it could be issued in day basis? For example is it 1 year and 2 months or could be 1 year 2 months and 12 days? My question is because if it is in days, then my PGWP should have been issued for 1 year and 20 days otherwise also makes sense that they issued only for a year

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Well That’s my concern, however I have read a couple of comments in this forum related to similar situation but none of them provided their final result once applied for extension.... is the PGWP issued in a moth basis? Or it could be issued in day basis? For example is it 1 year and 2 months or could be 1 year 2 months and 12 days? My question is because if it is in days, then my PGWP should have been issued for 1 year and 20 days otherwise also makes sense that they issued only for a year
If your pgwp was issued for 1 year, it means you only qualified for 1 year pgwp.

Camil7243

Mar 25, 2020
Thanks for you answers, what do you recommend should I do now? I mean, can I appeal my current permit? It expires in 2 months and I hold a new passport... it is really weird how the eligibility is determined I consider I fulfill all the criteria

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for you answers, what do you recommend should I do now? I mean, can I appeal my current permit? It expires in 2 months and I hold a new passport... it is really weird how the eligibility is determined I consider I fulfill all the criteria
Why didn't you sort this out as soon as you got the PGWP? The fact that you don't have a remark on your permit about being able to extend is a problem. At this point, you can try applying for an extension but it may not be granted.

Camil7243

Mar 25, 2020
I didn’t because
Why didn't you sort this out as soon as you got the PGWP? The fact that you don't have a remark on your permit about being able to extend is a problem. At this point, you can try applying for an extension but it may not be granted.
Thank you sir for your guidance, I did not sort this out by the moment because of misinformation, however according to several comments in this threat it appears to be a really common issue, many people don’t get the note either and apparently got extension with no issue, I just hope my case has the same outcome because I have followed the rules perfectly since I put my first step in Canada and I don’t see why I cannot be elegible, I’ll be updating this threat accordingly https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/extension-of-post-graduate-work-permit-procedure-after-passport-renewal.539037/page-7