+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Enquiry

DuyNg

Aug 27, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I know that there are lost of info regarding PGWP on the forum but it seems my case is a little tricky.
Here is the timeline of my study:

Fall 2017 - Came to Canada and studied at ICM ( non DLI college)
Fall 2018 - Approved to study at Faculty of Science 2nd year ( University of Manitoba - DLI Uni) - In my first term, I took only 2 courses so it is a part time semester (also the only part time semester in my study timeline)
Fall 2019- Approved to study at Faculty of Engineer (still a 2nd year student base on the courses taken) - Full time study until now (Year 2 of 4 + 1.5 year intern)
Present - I am on internship and expect to graduate in Dec 2023 with a degree in Mech Eng.

On IRCC, they mentioned "maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of your study program". From 2019, my study program is Mech Eng so if IRCC officer only looks from this point onward, then I have no problem this PGWP. However, do you think they will also look at what I did in 2018?

Thank you!

Dilpreet435

Star Member
Jul 13, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I know that there are lost of info regarding PGWP on the forum but it seems my case is a little tricky.
Here is the timeline of my study:

Fall 2017 - Came to Canada and studied at ICM ( non DLI college)
Fall 2018 - Approved to study at Faculty of Science 2nd year ( University of Manitoba - DLI Uni) - In my first term, I took only 2 courses so it is a part time semester (also the only part time semester in my study timeline)
Fall 2019- Approved to study at Faculty of Engineer (still a 2nd year student base on the courses taken) - Full time study until now (Year 2 of 4 + 1.5 year intern)
Present - I am on internship and expect to graduate in Dec 2023 with a degree in Mech Eng.

On IRCC, they mentioned "maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of your study program". From 2019, my study program is Mech Eng so if IRCC officer only looks from this point onward, then I have no problem this PGWP. However, do you think they will also look at what I did in 2018?

Thank you!
U will be granted pgwp on the basis of ur latest education… yes , they will look at what u did earlier for which u weren’t eligible for pgwp earlier but the latest study makes u eligible

DuyNg

Aug 27, 2021
U will be granted pgwp on the basis of ur latest education… yes , they will look at what u did earlier for which u weren’t eligible for pgwp earlier but the latest study makes u eligible
Thank you for the reply. So I will be still eligible even though the part time term in 2018 which has some courses are used for the degree I did later on 2019?

Dilpreet435

Star Member
Jul 13, 2018
Thank you for the reply. So I will be still eligible even though the part time term in 2018 which has some courses are used for the degree I did later on 2019?
Was your latest study completely different from previous ones? Like will u receive a separate diploma/degree for it?

DuyNg

Aug 27, 2021
Was your latest study completely different from previous ones? Like will u receive a separate diploma/degree for it?
Yes the name of the degree will be different. It just the courses I learned in Science also required in Engineer, like Math. I did not earn a degree for Science, I am doing degree for Engineeer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 Hello, I am sorry to direct you to this thread, but I hope you can provide some information regarding my issue.
You studied part-time for your first semester of your engineering degree so that technically makes you intelligible for PGWP. Impossible to say what will happen. Is there a reason why you only studies part-time?

DuyNg

Aug 27, 2021
You studied part-time for your first semester of your engineering degree so that technically makes you intelligible for PGWP. Impossible to say what will happen. Is there a reason why you only studies part-time?
I studied part-time for my first semester in science program, then I moved to Engineering program a year later. The reason for part-time study is I received the accepted letter quite late (like a week before class started) and all classes are full. I did not aware of the PGWP policy at the time, so I did not take some random courses to maintain full-time status either.