+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP PR sponsorship eligibility queries

Amit_gupta143143

Star Member
May 7, 2021
Hi Everyone,
I am currently Canadian PR and will apply for citizenship at the end of this year. I am interested in sponsoring my parents through PGP PR program. I have few queries about it. Hope you guys can help.

1.) I am married and my wife is in India. Because of some personal reasons, I am not planning to sponsor her to Canada in near future. For income eligibility for PGP, should I consider I’ll be responsible for as 2 people (my mom and dad) or 3 (mom, dad and wife).

2.) my parents already have Visitor visas for canada, for which my brother sponsored them in 2017 (I wasn’t in Canada that time). Now because of low Income my brother isn’t able to sponsor them for PGP program. Am I able to sponsor them on my own for PGP even though visitor visa was sponsored by my brother?

3.) I am also planning to bring them to Canada in future as they already have visitor visa. If they get selected for PGP, are they allowed to stay in Canada during PGP application is in process?

4.) I came to Canada in Dec 2018 hence do not fulfill income criteria for year 2018, but I am good for 2019 and 2020. But my consultant suggested me to fill the ‘interest to sponsor’ form anyway and said we can seek for exception. What’s your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1. Total is 4 people. You include yourself. So LICO for 4.
2. No issue at all.
3. Yes
4. If you don’t meet LICO, there are no exceptions.

PGP is a lottery so you may not be selected. Some people wait years or are never selected.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Just to add. Not sure which year of PGP are you referring to. But for 2021 PGP, you likely need income fro 2018, 2019 and 2020 (but they could change it since they haven't announced the rule yet)
If they require income for 2018 and you came in Dec 2018 and do not meet the income requirement, DO NOT fill the interest to sponsor. Do not hire any consultant that suggests to enter the lottery anyway. Likely he just want money for your application to be submitted and get the fee out of it while it will be refused at the end.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,
I am currently Canadian PR and will apply for citizenship at the end of this year. I am interested in sponsoring my parents through PGP PR program. I have few queries about it. Hope you guys can help.

1.) I am married and my wife is in India. Because of some personal reasons, I am not planning to sponsor her to Canada in near future. For income eligibility for PGP, should I consider I’ll be responsible for as 2 people (my mom and dad) or 3 (mom, dad and wife).

2.) my parents already have Visitor visas for canada, for which my brother sponsored them in 2017 (I wasn’t in Canada that time). Now because of low Income my brother isn’t able to sponsor them for PGP program. Am I able to sponsor them on my own for PGP even though visitor visa was sponsored by my brother?

3.) I am also planning to bring them to Canada in future as they already have visitor visa. If they get selected for PGP, are they allowed to stay in Canada during PGP application is in process?

4.) I came to Canada in Dec 2018 hence do not fulfill income criteria for year 2018, but I am good for 2019 and 2020. But my consultant suggested me to fill the ‘interest to sponsor’ form anyway and said we can seek for exception. What’s your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!
3. They may be able to stay while their PGP is processed. PGP doesn't give them any sort of implied status. Whether they can remain will depend on whether they need to get an extension and likely how long they have already been in Canada.

Agree with others that we have seen others be denied for a few dollars. If you apply you will spend money on the application and miss out out on applying for the next year because your application is still being processed and then will be denied. Start trying to apply when you actually qualify but you are competing with a large group of people also wanting to sponsor their parents so it usually takes many attempts.