+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Personal Tax Credits

Canadiandreaming

Jul 12, 2020
Hi all,

As part of my new job, I have to complete a Personal Tax Credits Return and a BC equivalent in order to determine what tax credits I might be entitled to and how much tax I should pay.

On the Canada form, TD1, there is a section relating to non-residents. It says only fill in if you are a non resident. Now, I am not a non-resident now as I have moved to canada and started work here. However, I was a non-resident for the previous 7 months of this tax year. Do I just complete the form as though I am a resident given that this is now my status? Or do I have to acknowledge my non residence which has taken up the remainder of the year and where I earnt money?

Thanks for any help.

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Hi all,

As part of my new job, I have to complete a Personal Tax Credits Return and a BC equivalent in order to determine what tax credits I might be entitled to and how much tax I should pay.

On the Canada form, TD1, there is a section relating to non-residents. It says only fill in if you are a non resident. Now, I am not a non-resident now as I have moved to canada and started work here. However, I was a non-resident for the previous 7 months of this tax year. Do I just complete the form as though I am a resident given that this is now my status? Or do I have to acknowledge my non residence which has taken up the remainder of the year and where I earnt money?

Thanks for any help.
You are a resident now so don't fill the "non-resident" part on the TD-1.
When you file your 2020 taxes next year, there will be questions about the date you became a resident, and some of the deductions and credits will be prorated accordingly.