+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Personal identity documents issue

indiagal

May 16, 2012
Hi All,

I am going to apply in March 2018. I have a question regarding identity document. I have only my valid passport, pr card and COPR as my identity document. Are these sufficient? I dont have a driving license or health card as i am currently living in US with my canadian citizen husband. I dont have a US driving license either. :(

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hi All,

I am going to apply in March 2018. I have a question regarding identity document. I have only my valid passport, pr card and COPR as my identity document. Are these sufficient? I dont have a driving license or health card as i am currently living in US with my canadian citizen husband. I dont have a US driving license either. :(
An overview of some acceptable identity documents is at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/identity/acceptable-documents-show-identity-applications.html.

(I've been trying to find out if there is a complete list, but have not been able to find one)

It is unclear to what extent a PR card can be used as a proof of identity when dealing with IRCC.

Could you get a photo ID card (the equivalent of a driver's licence for people who do not drive) from the state you are currently residing in?

indiagal

May 16, 2012
Hello btbt
An overview of some acceptable identity documents is at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/identity/acceptable-documents-show-identity-applications.html.

(I've been trying to find out if there is a complete list, but have not been able to find one)

It is unclear to what extent a PR card can be used as a proof of identity when dealing with IRCC.

Could you get a photo ID card (the equivalent of a driver's licence for people who do not drive) from the state you are currently residing in?
Hello btbt
I dont have a non driver’s license as i am living in US currently with my canadian spouse. That is my main concern. Anyway i just called cic customer care and the agent said PR card and copr are more than sufficient. So sending my application today. Fingers crossed.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
I used my PR card as ID, along with the passport. I didn't send them copy of my COPR, and not even my driver license (I thought should of sent the driver license but somehow forgot.) I got AOR and is in process right now, so no issues. I'll bring all those docs to the interview to be safe, though.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hello btbt
I dont have a non driver’s license as i am living in US currently with my canadian spouse. That is my main concern. Anyway i just called cic customer care and the agent said PR card and copr are more than sufficient. So sending my application today. Fingers crossed.
Yes, and as you are living there: the state in which you are resident can issue you photo ID, just like provinces and territories here will issue photo ID to residents. You said you do not have one, but you could still acquire one. Your state's DMV most likely has a web page explaining what is necessary for them to issue such a document.

It seems, from what the agent told you, that that won't be necessary, but it seemed worthwhile to clarify that the possibility is open to you -- and having another piece of ID may prove convenient for other purposes, too.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi All,

1, You realize that you have to submit your application from Canada and that you require a Canadian mailing address, IRCC won't correspond to addresses outside Canada?

indiagal

May 16, 2012
Hi

1, You realize that you have to submit your application from Canada and that you require a Canadian mailing address, IRCC won't correspond to addresses outside Canada?
Hi PMM

I have a canadian address as my husband’s parents live in Canada. But i cant now apply for any ids from here coz anyhow i have to go back to the US.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hi PMM

I have a canadian address as my husband’s parents live in Canada. But i cant now apply for any ids from here coz anyhow i have to go back to the US.
The point PMM made has nothing to do with ID, but has to do with the fact that IRCC only mails notices to addresses in Canada (see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5). This means that you must be able to respond to notices they send in a timely manner, and attend meetings with IRCC staff at short notice, so you may need to travel from the US to Canada with little warning.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Well, there is more to it than that.

Foremost, overall, the applicant must honestly, truthfully disclose his or her current home address, the address where the applicant ACTUALLY LIVES. Applying for citizenship is not like opening a bank account using a friend's or parent's address.

And if an applicant's home address changes after applying, the applicant certified he or she would notify IRCC of any such change when he or she signed the application.

Any other approach is misrepresentation, a criminal offense, a stand alone reason to deny citizenship and impose a five year ban, or a stand alone ground for later revoking citizenship resulting in a ten year ban.

It is a misrepresentation to list a "home" address that is NOT the address where the applicant is actually living. It is a misrepresentation by omission to fail to notify IRCC if the applicant is later, after applying, living at an address other than the address listed in the application.

(And, obviously, identification from a jurisdiction outside Canada will tend to not just raise but highlight the issue if an applicant nonetheless attempts to deceive IRCC about where the applicant actually lives.)

It is not entirely clear why some assert that a home address in Canada is absolutely necessary. I am not sure it is.

It is also not clear whether such assertions are posed as an explicit, literal requirement, or as a practical requirement.

The latter, however, the fact that as a practical matter applying for citizenship while living abroad faces such high hurdles as to be practically prohibited for most, that much is clear. And this is NOT merely about the potential difficulty of failing to timely respond to short notice from IRCC.

Which is to say, I personally do not know that applying while living outside Canada is overtly prohibited. I do not know what provisions of law or rules or regulations that prohibition would be based on. But it is rather easy to forecast it is a very difficult endeavor even if technically allowable. And again, this is NOT merely about the potential difficulty of failing to timely respond to short notice from IRCC, which is nonetheless a big part of the difficulty.

The history of applicants who leave Canada to live abroad while their application is pending is rife with tales of woe and failure. Not all. More than a few who left Canada for clearly temporary purposes, even work, especially a particular educational program, have reported few or no problems in getting scheduled for the oath. But the overall reporting history from those who are living abroad while their citizenship application is in process tends to reflect a tough road, ranging from much difficulty to outright denial.

The risk of being cast into a challenged presence-case is high and that alone can raise the bar considerably. This is a subject extensively addressed in the forum. Anyone considering living abroad while applying for citizenship might want to do some homework, including reading back pages here looking for discussions about living abroad while a citizenship application is in process. Or just go for it BUT being sure to be fully truthful in the process.

All that said, a PR who is living with a Canadian spouse abroad, in a situation where BOTH RECENTLY moved abroad, is perhaps one of the situations with better odds of success, recognizing however the odds it will NOT BE a ROUTINE case are significantly elevated. Again, however, for those who do attempt this, it is imperative to be truthful to IRCC, including as to where the applicant is actually living.

Reactions: btbt

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi All,

How long have you been out of Canada?

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
How long have you been out of Canada?
That doesn't matter, in that it's not relevant for determining their PR status (as accompanying a Canadian spouse is deemed to be equivalent to being resident in Canada, for the purpose of retaining one's PR status.) (per 6.1 of https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf).

It is relevant only to the extent that they will need to have been resident in Canada for 1095 days in the last 5 years, to meet physical presence requirements, but that physical presence can have ended 2 years before the application is signed and dated. It seems a difficult road to take (cf. the caveats raised by @dpenabill), but as far as I can determine it is permissible.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
That doesn't matter, in that it's not relevant for determining their PR status (as accompanying a Canadian spouse is deemed to be equivalent to being resident in Canada, for the purpose of retaining one's PR status.) (per 6.1 of https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf).

It is relevant only to the extent that they will need to have been resident in Canada for 1095 days in the last 5 years, to meet physical presence requirements, but that physical presence can have ended 2 years before the application is signed and dated. It seems a difficult road to take (cf. the caveats raised by @dpenabill), but as far as I can determine it is permissible.
There have been at least a few people on the forum who have not understood that it now has to be "physical presence" and not the same as the RO for accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse. Hence the very gentle question.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
There have been at least a few people on the forum who have not understood that it now has to be "physical presence" and not the same as the RO for accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse. Hence the very gentle question.
Ah, I see. Yeah, that's an important distinction, indeed.